Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The Secret Life of Dave-El

Hi there! I'm Dave-El, sworn enemy of guacamole. 

A lot of times I write posts about what's going on out there in the world at large because what goes on around here in what I call the Fortress of Ineptitude is not always that interesting.

I do try to pretend there's some kind of drama going down around here....



But mostly, no, not that exciting.  

Still, as a blogger, I have some measure of obligation to share some of the stuff that goes on in my life. So I'm going to recount the details of my life from this past weekend starting with...

Friday night
My wife Andrea, daughter Miranda (aka nascent internet persona Randie) and I went out to our favorite Mexican restaurant, Mexico. Funny, I've never seen a Chinese place called simply China or a French cuisine establishment called simply France. Anyway, like most other favorite places we go, we got exactly what we always get. 

Me: combination platter with beef taco, chicken quesadilla, beans and rice
Andrea: combination platter with beef taco, beef enchilada, beans and rice
Miranda: cheese quesadilla

Miranda had lemonade while Andrea and I indulged in our usual frozen concoction that helps us hang on, peach margaritas. 

Back home, it was mom and daughter bonding time with Dan & Phi videos while I worked on Sunday's Doctor Who blog.

Boy, this is some exciting stuff, isn't it?  Dare we go on? Yes, we must!

Saturday
I mowed the lawn and brought the rebellious hedges into line. I did a load of laundry and helped Miranda clean up the living room. It turns out we have a floor! Who knew? 

Lunch was Chik-Fil-A with peach (Peach again? Steady, steady) milkshakes for the wife and I while Miranda had chocolate. Dinner was hot dogs with baked beans and cheddar and sour cream potato chips.

For entertainment, we watched two episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation on BBC America and two episodes of Doctor Who from the Series 8 DVDs. 

Can things get any more exciting? I don't think I can take much more but look, here comes...

Sunday
Breakfast was a run to McDonald's with a McMuffin for me, chicken biscuit for Andrea and hotcakes for Miranda. Damn! We know how to live!

My shadow darkened the door of our church TWICE Sunday morning as I sang with a men's ensemble a song about being a role model to our kids. I firmly believe I'm a role model for my child. Granted, its more along the lines of "do the opposite of what I'm doing" but it's a responsibility that I take very seriously.   

Later for a very, very late lunch/very early dinner, we went to O'Charley's where we had what we always have: 
Andrea and I both had the chicken tender and sirloin steak combo with baked potato and salad. Miranda had fish and chips which in this case was not French fries but actual chips. I sample some and they were really tasty. To drink for the ladies, strawberry lemonade and iced tea for me.  For me, iced tea is sweeten, caffeinated liquid crack.  

We weren't very hungry around the usual lunch time and we figured everyone would be rushing to eat at the same time around noon to celebrate Father's Day. We didn't get hungry until around 3 PM so we would get there after the rush. 

At 3 PM, the restaurant had a 20 minute wait.  Apparently, a lot of other people came to same conclusion we did. 

For Father's Day, I was presented a gift bag with cards for Subway and Panera, a puzzle book, ink pens and two greeting cards. The one from my daughter had a guitar playing dog that rocked out when the card was opened. The one my wife gave me was incredibly mushy as cards from her tend to be. 

For entertainment, we watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I haven't seen it in years and it was Miranda's first time ever watching it. I kept saying, "Hey, check out this next bit coming up, it's really weird." And Miranda's retort was, "The whole movie's one big weird bit!"  So I think she liked it.  

And thank God the weekend was over because really, could we have taken much more excitement?  Perhaps you should breathe in a paper bag or something until you settle down.  

Before I wrap this up, a shout out to Lebron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers for winning Game 7 of the NBA Finals. I didn't think the finals would be all that interesting with the Golden State Warriors giving Cleveland such lop-sided whuppings in the first 2 games. In fact, things didn't look good for the Cavs stuck at 3 - 1 where no NBA team has ever come back to win the finals. But that they did. Gotta love a good old come from behind underdog victory story.  

However, not everybody is feeling as magnanimous towards Cleveland.



For more, click here for the Onion's take on this.  

I'll go back to the usual inane topics of this blog starting tomorrow with a comic book themed post as is the usual pattern of this blog. 

Until next time, remember to be good to one another.

And I'm so glad my suffering amuses you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Doctor Who Is NEW! Boom!

  And we are back with another installment of Doctor Who Is NEW! where I post about new episodes of Doctor Who . Since Russell T Davies ret...