Wednesday, August 28, 2013

STRANGE(er) ADVENTURES#13




Hi, Welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, the blog that's a better source of potassium than other blogs.

Dave-El here! It's Wednesday and this is when I've gotten in the habit of posting my little mock ups of covers to the classic DC science fiction series Strange Adventures. Under the limits of the newly launched and all powerful Comics Code Authority, stories in Strange Adventures had to really reach for new and inventive ways to tell adventures that were strange but still conformed to the Code. "New and inventive" usually translated to "weird and goofy" but hey, Strange Adventures could get your attention with some really bizarre scenarios.

So it's a lot of fun to come up with bad jokes, weird lines and bizarre non-sequiturs to put in the word balloons on the covers of Strange Adventures.

Except I started falling into a pattern. I kept picking the covers with gorillas and while the comments may be the different, the core of these odd ball word plays is the same: bananas.

It even got to the point where the gorillas were commenting on this.



So last week I posted something different: Jack Kirby's New Girl#1. Essentially, it's a photo of New Girl star Zooey Deschanel pasted (very badly) to the cover of New Gods#1. Now this combines several of my favorite things in the world: my love of comic books, my admiration of the power and the talent of Jack Kirby and my probably not too healthy attraction to Zooey Deschanel.

Yes, there WILL be a Jack Kirby's New Girl#2...except I haven't worked that out yet.

So back to the Strange Adventures well and.....

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.

But I just can't help myself. 






Click here for the original cover to Strange Adventures#88 by Gil Kane & Joe Giella
   




You know what? Don't judge me, OK? I know have a habit, a bad habit! I'm addicted to bad cover gags involving gorillas and bananas! I can stop when I want.

I just have to get this monkey off my back.

Yeah, I went there.

See you all later.

Remember to be good to one another...and share your bananas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

News of the World: Storms and War and Other Things

Over the weekend, really bad weather hit the mid west United States with tornadoes.  A LOT of tornadoes. And VERY BIG tornadoes.  One really...