Wednesday, October 7, 2026

The Secret To Marriage

I can't believe I let last week go by without mentioning this: last Friday was Andrea and I's 32nd wedding anniversary.

Last year I was chatting with a young man who had just gotten married and he was impressed that Andrea and I had been married for over 30 years.  He asked me what was the secret to our marriage lasting so long.

So I hauled out this old chestnut: "Never go to bed angry."

Then I added this: "I'VE BEEN AWAKE FOR OVER THIRTY YEARS!!"  

The young man laughed and laughed and laughed and then he sold us a new HVAC system for the house.

But seriously, what is the secret to our marriage?

Andrea gave me an anniversary card that I think perfectly encapsulates our long and enduring partnership.


Yeah, that sounds about right.

If you're familiar with this blog, you might've guessed we went to Olive Garden to celebrate our anniversary.

Why?

  • Because Olive Garden is Andrea's favorite restaurant.
  • I love my wife.
  • And I had a free Olive Garden gift card I won at work.

By the way, Andrea's gift to me inside the anniversary greeting card was (you guessed it!) another Olive Garden gift card.

Which I will likely use when her birthday comes 'round next year.
  • So we understand each other.
  • And we love each other.
  • And yes, we annoy each other. 
And that is the secret to marriage. 

And I'm so glad my suffering amuses you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Secret To Marriage

I can't believe I let last week go by without mentioning this: last Friday was Andrea and I's 32nd wedding anniversary. Last year I ...