Sunday, the season finale of Lanterns dropped and wow! What a wild ride!
Lanterns has been challenging and I mean that in a good way.
Expectations were set and then defied.
The core mythology of the Green Lantern comics was embraced and then reshaped into something new.
The TV series set a course for somewhere new while twists and turns in the narratives carried us through to a surprising destination.
Who knew that HBO's next Game of Thrones level hit would be based on Green Lantern comic books?
I want to take a moment to speak in defense of Kyle Chandler as Hal Jordan. Yes, the concept of Hal could be a struggle to accept as this character was frequently an ornery old often unlikeable sonuvabitch.
And yet he was also funny, charming even and yes, insightful.
Hey, comic book nerds complaining Kyle Chandler's NOT the Hal Jordan from your precious comic books, I would assert you weren't paying attention.
Comics Hal could be an arrogant asshole with ring but a constant fuck up without it.
As I covered in this post from last month, comics Hal complained to the Guardians that if they didn't stop mucking about with his life, he was gonna quit. Then he whined like a bitch when they let him.
As for the TV version of Hal being cranky about training John Stewart to be a Green Lantern, you may recall from this same post that comics Hal griped about recruiting John to the GL Corps in Green Lantern#87.
Look, TV Hal may have dialed up his asshole quotient to "11" (twice he abandoned John in a crashing automobile) by Kyle Chandler's take on Hal Jordan was not as far removed from the comics as the fan boys were complaining about.
Here's an adjective I can apply to Kyle Chandler's Hal Jordan that I rarely could apply to comic book Hal: "interesting".
A word also about Aaron Pierre who takes John Stewart on quite journey over the course of the season, from the cold stoic soldier just following orders to an older, wiser and crankier person who has had enough of this shit. I've enjoyed watching Aaron's John Stewart evolve.
So we come to the end of the season? How did the season finale unfold?
We find out Zoey was not the last Manhunter; her grandson Noah is a Manhunter.
But Noah isn't the one who shot Hal Jordan; it was Kerry.
So Halogram (Ring created Hal Jordan hologram) was right about who murdered him!
John Stewart gets his own ring and power battery and lays out the deal with Guy Gardner what's what regarding Green Lanterns on Earth.
Halogram says good-bye! (Forever? We're told it is but yeah, probably not.)
John Stewart powers up and learns to fly! About damn time!
And we've reached the end!
I think I'm happy the how when where & why things ended up.
So whazzup with season 2? While the Lanterns production team has assembled a writer's room to plot out season 2 and apparently HBO Max would love to sign off on that, DC Studios has not made known it's intentions on that subject.
So that is that for this week's Touchbase.
Until next time, remember to be good to one another and try to keep it down in there, would ya? I'm trying to watch TV over here.

No comments:
Post a Comment