Thursday, August 23, 2018

Some Thoughts About The Last Sharknado


I mentioned in Monday’s post that I watched The Last Sharknado: It’s About Time.  To be honest, I have not watched all of the previous 5 installments in the series. I’ve seen bits and pieces of each of the previous movies. I wasn’t too worried that I might miss some nuances of the plot. 

It’s a tornado. With sharks in it. 

Gotcha! 

But man, The Last Sharknado: It’s About Time was a balls to the wall, crazy as fuck mess that I enjoyed way more than an otherwise intelligent humanoid life form should.  

“So you turned a sharknado into a time machine.” Ian Ziering deserves an Emmy for saying that line with a straight face.  

Dinosaurs vs. sharks? Suck it, Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War and Incredibles II. Did you have dinosaurs vs. sharks? No, you didn’t! You lose!


Sharks attacking Camelot? With frickin’ Neil deGrasse Tyson as frickin’ Merlin? Hey, Chris Chibnall, does the new season of Doctor Who have frickin’ Neil deGrasse Tyson as frickin’ Merlin fighting off sharks attacking Camelot? No?? Then Mr. Chibnall, you are way behind! 


“The British are throwing flying sharks at us?!” Hey, Doris Kearns Goodwin, you’re an expert in American history? Did you know about the British throwing flying sharks at the American revolutionary army? Did you know that Benjamin Franklin punched a flying shark? No? Well I must say, Ms. Doris Kearns Goodwin, I scoff at your alleged expertise in American history!  SCOFF, I say!  

Speaking of the sequence set in the American Revolution, major props to whoever cast Darrell Hammond doing his Bill Clinton impression as George Washington. That was so cool!

There is so much going on in this movie. If a joke falls flat, another one will be along in about 5 seconds. Hell, if nothing else, just watching the very dodgy CGI is worth a few giggles.


There’s a sequence near the end that takes place in the middle of a sharknado where the weird magic guy from Big Trouble In Little China shows up for some reason. It’s that kind of movie. It’s an “everything but the kitchen sink” approach. Oh wait! There’s a kitchen sink!
Yes, this movie is stupid but damn if it wasn’t the best time I've had watching TV in a long time. The sheer absurdity of every action, every line of dialogue just jumped wholeheartedly into the absolute insanity of the entire premise.

Yes, this movie is just plain stupid. Sometimes in life, I need something this stupid to make me laugh.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ready To Launch

  Andrea and I ventured forth from the Fortress of Ineptitude last week to attend the graduation of our son Dean. Dean had selected for thei...