Saturday, January 16, 2021

Songs For Saturday: Melissa Villaseñor, Hugh Laurie, Brent Spiner and Jodie Whittaker

 


Welcome to another edition of Songs For Saturday where I spotlight songs I like. 

Sometimes I just throw a handful of songs to the wall of this blog to see what sticks. 

And other times, there is a theme.

Today we have a theme: actors who also sing.  

First up on today's playlist is a song I recently discovered by SNL cast mate Melissa Villaseñor. Melissa is an extraordinarily gifted impressionist. She is a loveable goofball and one my favorites on Saturday Night Live.

And she is a talented singer as well.  Here is Melissa Villaseñor with "Dreamin' You Up".  


Last week's Songs For Saturday included Fleetwood Mac's "Everywhere". Well here it is again as sung by Melissa Villaseñor  with Andrew Themeles on guitar. 


OK, this next thing is not a song but it's an SNL sketch. My favorite bit starts at 3:44 where Melissa Villaseñor riffs on Julia Louis-Dreyfous, Owen Wilson and Kate McKinnon in rapid succession.  


"Well, you know, I'm a bat!" Melissa just cracks me up all the time. 

Next up is a song I actually included in the very first Songs For Saturday ever from January 4, 2020.  But Hugh Laurie's performance of "St. James Infirmary" remains remarkably powerful and one that I wanted to share again. 



Brent Spiner became famous as the android Data on Star Trek: The Next Generation. But it turns out the old boy could sing too and released an album of Frank Sinatraesque tunes called "Ol' Yellow Eyes Is Back".   Here is BrentSpider with  "Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart".  



Rounding out today's playlist is another song making it's 2nd appearance on Songs For Saturday. I first posted "Yellow" by Jodie Whittaker on February 29, 2020. A year later, this cover of the Coldplay classic is still a frequent part of my rotation of favorite songs. 


And that is that for today's Songs For Saturday.  Thanks for listening and sharing some of favorite songs. Until next time, remember to be good to one another and to always keep the music alive.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: Star Wars Movies

  Today is May 4th which leads to "May the 4th be with you" which makes this Star Wars Day.  So today's Cinema Saturday will b...