Monday, March 28, 2022

This (Non) Sporting Life: Dave-El Vs. The Dramatic Narrative

Welcome to another edition of This (Non) Sporting Life, a blog post about sport from a guy who knows little about sports. 

About 4 weeks ago, Duke met North Carolina in the regular season finale.  Since this season marks the end of Mike Krzyzewski's tenure as head coach of the Duke Blue Devils Men's Basketball team, the dramatic narrative demanded a Hollywood ending where the team would deliver a win for their beloved coach and his last ever game on the Blue Devils' home court.  

North Carolina won.   

 About 3 weeks ago, Duke met Virginia Tech for the championship game of the ACC Men's Basketball tournament.  Considering this season marks the end of Coach K's run as head coach, the dramatic narrative demanded a Hollywood ending with the team delivering a championship for their beloved coach in his last ever ACC Tournament.

Virginia Tech won. 

Well, karma can be a cruel mistress and the dramatic narrative can go fuck itself.

Going into the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament, I reached the conclusion that just getting into the NCAA tourney was sufficient enough a milestone to mark this last season for Mike Krzyzewski as head coach of the Duke Blue Devils.   

I made peace with idea that Coach K simply guiding his team to one last NCAA tournament was accomplishment enough and accepted that a win was not needed for the dramatic narrative arc of Coack K's story.

So once I made up my mind that I didn't need Duke to actually win to meet the parameters of some imagined dramatic story structure, naturally Duke kept winning.  

Duke won their Sweet 16 game against Texas Tech in dramatic fashion, securing Mike Krzyzewski  his 100th NCAA tournament win. 

Duke won their Elite 8 game against Arkansas.

This sends the Blue Devils to the Final Four for the 13th time, giving Mike Krzyzewski a 1 game lead over the record of legendary college basketball coach John Wooten.   

So my stress is not over. 

This weekend, Coach K and the Duke Blue Devils will go to New Orleans. Do I dare hope for victory in this final season with Mike Krzyzewski as coach?

If I'm smart, I will come the conclusion that just getting the Duke Blue Devils to this elevated position of accomplishment satisfies the dramatic arc of  Mike Krzyzewski's career. 

I don't think I can handle the stress otherwise.  

Oh, by the way, North Carolina is still in this thing, winning their Final Four game.

And on Saturday, their semi-final opponent will be...

Duke?

Duke!

Son of a bitch! 

I can't handle this stress!!!

(deep breath)

(sigh) 

It is an honor for Mike Krzyzewski that the Duke Blue Devils have made it this far.

God, I hate sports.   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throwback Thursday: Here's a Tip: Buy Low, Sell High

In yesterday's post, I wrote about how my parents would eat at Hardee's unless we wanted to be fancy and then we would eat at Wendy&...