Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Young Sheldon and Other Things

 Andrea and I watched the 96th Annual Academy Awards on Sunday night. It's a lot more interesting show to watch when there are movies one has actually seen and actually have a shot at winning.

Oppenheimer won for Best Picture, Best Director (Chris Nolan), Best Actor (Cillian Murphy) and Best Supportiny Actor (a crowd pleasing win for sentimental favorite Robert Downey Jr) and bunch of other awards.  

Billie Eilish won for Best Song with "What Was I Made For?" from Barbie but the show stopping performance of the night was Ryan Gosling's "I'm Just Ken" on a pink festooned stage and dozens of dancing black clad cowboys.  

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar (which I wrote up for last weekend's Cinema Saturday) won for best short film. 

Coming up this week for Cinema Saturday: Poor Things. I watched it last weekend and Emma Stone won Best Actress (a most deserved win) and the film won a trio of well deserved awards for Make, Costuming and Production Design. 

(Yep, it's a new poorly constructed graphic for the Tuesday TV Touchbase.)

As Young Sheldon marches towards the end of it's final season, there is some pressure to bring certain events in line with canon as established in Big Bang Theory

One of the most controversial items from the canon was the infidelity of Sheldon's father, George Cooper.  Sheldon revealed that his habit of knocking three times began when he accidentally caught his father engaged in coitus with a blonde woman who was not his wife. 

Which became a problem because the George Cooper we met in Young Sheldon would not do that. Make no mistake, George's relationship with Mary could be quite contentious and it wasn't like there wasn't a temptation living right next door, blonde divorcee Brenda Sparks. George and Brenda had a warm, friendly rapport that could've turned into something... else. 

But the way George was written and the way Lance Barber portrayed him, this man was just not wired like that. 

One theory I had was that the woman Sheldon caught his father with was not another woman but his mom in a blonde wig.

A problem with that theory was that Mary was often portrayed as a self righteous judgmental uptight religious prig and the idea of her engaged in sexual role play seemed out of character. 

Except when separated from that "self righteous judgmental uptight religious" behavior, Mary could actually be fun. Oh she'll still go into prayer mode as if she can work God like a Green Lantern power ring to get what she wants but time away from George for several months with Sheldon in Germany has made her more open. 

And she's developed a taste for German beer. Her first sip of American beer when she gets back to Medford give us this lament: "I miss Germany." 

So who shows up in the Cooper boudoir but Mary.... er, make that "Helga", a blonde German bar maid who is here to rock George's world. 

And THIS is the sex act that Sheldon caught a glimpse of. 

And I'm doing my "I was right! I was right! I was right" happy dance. 

Now this doesn't line up exactly with what Sheldon said in Big Bang Theory.  Sheldon is on summer break, not spring break and the age is different, etc etc etc.  

I think we're going to find that the Sheldon of Big Bang Theory was an unreliable narrator and my theory is connected to the other part of BBT canon that Young Sheldon cannot finesse or escape: the death of George Cooper.   

Jim Parsons is set to appear on camera in the series finale and I think what we might get is a confession: the older Sheldon spoke so badly about his father because it was easier to cope with his passing to paint him as a brutish, drunken cheat than the good man he really was. 

Older Sheldon's narration of Young Sheldon may have started as an ego driven project, the tell the tale of the young man who would become a Nobel Prize winner. But it became a redemption story, to set straight all the crap he used to tell his friends about his father.   

Am I expecting too much? Maybe but "Helga" did prove me right on one thing.


Other Things!  







  • Tonight's Night Court marks the return of Brent Spiner as Bob Wheeler. Can Brent save Night Court? Please be funny!!!
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine is back in our TV watching rotation. Andrea only saw the NBC episodes so Netflix was kind enough to upload the Fox seasons so I've been introducing select episodes such as the 1st encounters with the Vulture, Doug Judy and the Halloween heist.  
  • I'm up to the start of season 3 of Community and I'm playing beat the clock as it seems Community will be leaving Netflix as of April 1st.  I really am enjoying this series and I wish I had started watching it sooner. 

And that is that for this week's Touchbase.

Until next time, remember to be good to one another and try to keep it down in there, would ya? I'm trying to watch TV over here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Sushi

Last week, I had my first sushi. While Andrea and I were out of town for our son's graduation from college, we took him and two of his f...