Monday, February 10, 2014

Winter's Edge

Hi there! Welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, the blog that knows that what's cooler than being cool is ice cold, baby!

I'm Dave-El and today's post revolves around some random winter and winter-ish musings.

_____________________________

So, do you have Olympic fever? You do know the Winter Olympics are going on, right? Yeah, me neither. 


Well, obviously I know they're going on but do I care? I don't know why it is but the Winter Olympics just don't do it for me. Maybe because they happen in February and there's actually something new to watch on the other channels. The Summer Olympics are a respite from the summer heat and doldrums. But the Winter Games? Eh, not so much. 

And this year especially. It could be because the games are in Russia where joylessness is the #3 export right behind vodka and mail order whores brides. Here's all this celebrating of individual human achievement in the middle of a country run by a man as cold as the iron hard earth of this nation.  

So I'm not feeling very enthused for the Winter Olympics. Except when the ice skating starts in earnest, mostly because of stuff like this.



Yeah, I'm such a perv.






_____________________________

I guess should save this for a Doctor Who Saturday post but I guess I'll toss it in here. Get a load of this: 



Yeah, ice sculptures are cool. 

You can't argue with that because...well, they're ice, duh!

_____________________________

As I write this, another winter storm system is moving our way and expected to hit Wednesday. Forecasters seems pretty certain, actually putting the chance of snow in my neck of the North Carolina woods at 90%. (I suppose that 10% chance it won't gives them a little cover.) 

When the big cold snap hit the northeast last month, the term "polar vortex" was used. Maybe its just me with my years of comic book reading but I couldn't help but think this sounds like something from a super-villain's bag of tricks, particularly from one of the cold theme baddies running around. 












If I find out this winter's severe cold weather is a result of some damn thing Captain Cold or Mister Freeze or Killer Frost has done, I'm sending somebody my heating bill and demanding very firmly that I receive appropriate restitution. 

Please don't freeze me. 

_____________________________

That's it for today. Until next time, be good to one another. And stay warm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Sunday: Woman Haters - The Debut of the Three Stooges

Today's Cinema Sunday post is about a short film that began a big impact on American pop culture.   Debuting on May 5, 1934, exactly 90 ...