Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Jeopardy, The Flight Attendant


Before we get underway, a shout out to Ryan Long, my kid brother, who had a great run as Jeopardy champion for the last few weeks. His 16 game streak came to an end Monday but damn, what an awesome ride it was for my younger brother. 

Ryan is African American and from Philadephia and I am, well, not, but family transcends skin color and geography. Ryan and I share the same last name so I think that makes us family.

And I am so proud of my kid brother Ryan and his win streak on Jeopardy.  And my pride in my brother is reward enough for me.

Although if my younger brother wants to share a little of his largess with his loving and devoted older brother, like say maybe $25,000, that would be cool. 




So a couple of weeks ago, Andrea and I watched the finale of the 2nd season of The Flight Attendant.  

The central mystery of the season was a bit of a mess. Cassie Bowden's side hustle as a CIA civilian asset has put her in the crosshairs of some kind of conspiracy to frame Cassie for a bunch of CIA murders and target her for murder as well. Or something. I'm not really clear. 

Also friend Megan is back for her shenanigans putting her at odds with the US government and the North Korean spies she was working for and this plot thread causes considerable headaches for Cassie. 

But the main thing that drives the 2nd season is Cassie's struggles not to self destruct. Her place at the start of the season looks good: her job as a flight attendant is going well, she's happy with her role as a CIA civilian asset, she's moved to Los Angeles and has scored a pretty damn sexy boyfriend and she's been sober for a year.

Except as the season progresses, it is clear that Cassie's life of sunshine and positivity and sobriety is a house of cards. 

Cassie Bowden's mind palace is back and this time it's occupied by Cassie Bowden. Or different versions of her and they are not getting along.  

Kaley Cuoco really is pretty damn awesome as Cassie Bowden, whether Cassie is trying to hold it together and barely succeeding or failing with the most epic of emotional breakdowns.  Kaley deserves every kudo and accolade that comes her way. 

Which  brings me to a bone of contention.  In season 1, the show, stars and producers were up for various awards as a Comedy Series.  

The Flight Attendant can be funny and absurd but it defies easy definition as a comedy series. There's too much about this show that is dark, serious and uneasy to label it as a comedy.  Season 2 features emotional trauma and death. People die in this show. In episode 7, there's a particularly brutal suicide. The Flight Attendant  is beyond just being a comedy.  

Next week, the Tuesday TV Touchbase looks at the season 3 premier of The Boys.  

Warning: People 'SPLODE!!!!

Until next time, remember to be good to one another and try to keep it down in there, would ya? I'm trying to watch TV over here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Sushi

Last week, I had my first sushi. While Andrea and I were out of town for our son's graduation from college, we took him and two of his f...