Monday, May 15, 2023

Back To Madison

So last week during a visit home to Fortress of Ineptitude by my daughter Randie, I took a day off work and we made a road trip to our favorite destination, Madison NC.

Madison is a small town about a half hour north of Greensboro where Randie and I happened to stop during a random road excursion a few years ago. Determined not to have lunch in some generic fast food chain, we opted to try out the local cuisine and grabbed a bite to eat at a place in downtown Madison called Bob's Restaurant. 

Bob's is a hole in the wall diner with a varied menu but every time I eat there, I was get the same thing, a cheeseburger and fries. I also swear I'm going to do something different and then I get the cheeseburger and fries.  Bob's makes the best crinkle cut fries. 

Well, last week I actually did something different and ordered one of their lunch specials. I tried the meatloaf.

It was... good. It was not the best meatloaf I've ever had but it was far from the worst. But as I bogarted a couple of the crinkle fries Randie had with her grilled pimento cheese and bacon sandwich, I resolved that with my next visit to Bob's...

Cheeseburger and fries.

We indulged in dessert as I sampled their very delicious banana pudding and Randie had her favorite, lemon pie. 

And then it was off to the Eclectic Calico. We got Andrea some earrings there for Mother's Day. 

And we paid homage to Bella the Cat.

Bella only wants your total obedience

Bella is the owner and manager of the Eclectic Calico with technical support and operations being handled by her humans.

After conversing with one of the humans for a bit (Bella was her usual recalcitrant self, content in receiving pets), Randie and I ventured across the street to the Madison Dry Goods to discover some changes. Richard and Karen Miller opted to retire a few months back after running this store for  28 years.  

The new owner is Michael Smith, AKA "Smitty" who sports a handle bar mustache right out of the 1920's or something.  Smitty is keeping the classic "general store" feel of the place but he's made a couple of changes.  There's now a on site bakery so the bread stuff they sell at the store is made right there.  I bought some of their butter pecan pound cake for Andrea and myself and it was delicious.  

Lots of luck and best wishes to Smitty  as Madison Dry Goods enters its next chapter.   

Smitty in front of his "new" store 

After our time in Madison, we ventured west to Hanging Rock State Park where we spent some time by the lake there. It is a beautiful and restful spot and I always enjoy going there.  

Lakeside at Hanging Rock Park  

The rest of our road trip was meandering randomly across the North Carolina countryside as we discussed complex topics relating to religion, philosophy, politics and culture. 

And not once did I use the phrase "And that reminds me of a comic book."  

Our meandering brought us to Winston-Salem unintentionally.  Winston-Salem has the worst traffic and I hate driving through there. Which is why I rarely intentionally go to Winston-Salem. 

Other than that source of stress, it was a fun drive just hanging out with Randie and talking about stuff 'n' junk.

And a good day was had by all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Sushi

Last week, I had my first sushi. While Andrea and I were out of town for our son's graduation from college, we took him and two of his f...