Thursday, June 20, 2024

Alas, Dear Adriana

Because Andrea and I are old people, we of course follow Jeopardy every night.  And right now, Jeopardy has a super champion for season 40.  Her name is Adriana Harmeyer.  

A super champion is defined as a Jeopardy player who has won 10 or more games.  

She's won 15 games through Tuesday June 18th.

Adriana began prepping for her momentous run on Jeopardy when she was a child and played the hell out of the Jeopardy! CD-ROM, memorizing every game.  

Another tidbit from her childhood?  Adriana did a fourth-grade animal project on the platypus. 

I think I may be in love with Adriana Harmeyer.  




Harmeyer  plays the game “the old fashion way,” which is from the top down, unlike say James Holzhauser who would trawl the high dollar bottom value clues early on. 

The late Alex Trebek once observed that while he understood why certain players might choose to work their way up or across, his preference was for players to play the clues in order; they are written and placed in the board to be in an increasing order of difficulty as you work your way down. 

Ken Jennings said Adriana’s style of play reminded him of his own 74-game run on Jeopardy! back in 2004, where he also played more traditionally.

Besides having skills with the buzzer, Adriana just knows stuff.  She said,  “I really just love answering questions. That might seem like an obvious answer, but when the category pops up that I know I have a background in or just something I’m interested in, and I know I can just play through those clues, it’s a really great feeling.”

Working her way down from top to bottom as worked well for Adriana Harmeyer so far.  

But not on Wednesday, June 19th.   

Alas, dear Adriana, my heart, my love, my platypus queen reached the end of her epic super champion run.   


Oh parting is such sweet sorrow. I love you, Adriana Harmeyer, my platypus queen! My heart aches and counts the days when I will see you again in the Tournament of Champions.  

(But let's keep that our little secret. My wife is here on the sofa next to me.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Bidness: To Sleep Perchance To Not Blog

Man, I am soooooo tired.   It's not that I don't have things to write about. It's not that there are no posts virtually written ...