Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Tuesday TV Touchbase: The Boys



Well, we are barreling towards the end of season 4 of The Boys and I'm not sure how I feeling it about it so far.

It's been the slam fest of extreme violence and sexual perversion we've come to expect from The Boys.  But when is too much TOO much.

What happened to Hughie Campbell (Jack Quaid) in the episode "Dirty Business" made me feel very uncomfortable.

Hughie goes undercover as Webweaver (The Boys version of Spider Man and you do NOT want to know where he shoots his webs from) to infiltrated Tek Knight's mansion. Webweaver got the invite to be Tek Knight's sidekick.  

Oh, like a Batman and Robin crime fighting type of gig, right? Well, that's what Hughie is hoping. 

No, this is The Boys and heroes are not heroes.

Nope, "sidekick" means being Tek Knight's sub in his Tek Cave sex dungeon.  

I mean, maybe the actual Webweaver was down for this shit but this is Hughie Campbell in that suit and he did not ask for any of this at all.  

Yeah, Hughie is frequently the butt monkey of the world of The Boys and seeing him suffer all sorts of abuse and indignities is part of that gig. 

I think the scenes of abuse and assault that Hughie is forced to endure felt like a step too far.  

Show runner Eric Kripke thought it was funny. Poor Hughie, persistently the butt monkey of the all the weird shit that goes down on this show is stuck in a sex dungeon? It's gotta be hilarious, right? 

My mileage varied and I disagree.   

Meanwhile, there is the over all arc of the show as Homelander becomes more open hostile to the human race as he plans to take over the United States government working with Christian Nationalists.  I guess this would be more entertaining if fucking Donald Trump, the god damn Heritage Foundation and their scary as shit Project 2025 were trying to do the exact same thing in real life.  

Kripke has made no secret that he sees Homelander as an expy for Donald Trump.  Which appears to be confusing to some fans of the show who think the series has gone "woke" and still think Homelander is the hero. 

Really? 

Valorie Curry who plays the alt right Supe Firecracker once expressed concern to Eric Kripke that some of her dialogue seemed too over the top. Until Eric revealed it was lifted verbatim from the speeches of Margorie Taylor Greene.  

Oh I have a fanboy moment I'm happy about. I guessed that Joe Kessler (Jeffrey Dean Morgan), the CIA operative that Billy Butcher has been working with was NOT really there, that he was a demented hallucination of Billy's cancer riddled brain just like his dead wife Becca. I wasn't the only person to guess that (others posted online with similar theories) but the youngish comic book person I continue to have buried deep inside still gets a rush when I guess right about a plot development like this.  

Otherwise, my enjoyment of The Boys is kind of limited by the hellish reality we're living in.



Next week brings us to the season 4 finale which will set the stage for the 5th and final season of The Boys

I will have more to say on that in the Tuesday TV Touchbase in 2 weeks. 

Next week, some other TV stuff I'm watching.

Until next time, remember to be good to one another and try to keep it down in there, would ya? I'm trying to watch TV over here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dave-El's Weekend Movie Post: The Wild Robot

So last weekend, Andrea and I took our leave from the Fortress of Ineptitude to go see the new animated film from Dreamworks,  The Wild Robo...