It's been a minute since I last did a Doctor Who post.
So let's talk about Doctor Who for a bit.
A few weeks ago, the internet went into full on red alert that Dean Devlin and his production company Electric Entertainment were up to take over as producers of Doctor Who. And he was bringing back David Tennant.
Wait! Who the what was going to how when why now?
As you know, the BBC announced it's intention to put Doctor Who out for tender. After the departure of Russell T. Davies and Bad Wolf, the BBC will be looking for someone to produce Doctor Who for them.
As I write this, the BBC has not acted on that intention so as of right now, the BBC is not in talks with anyone to run the show.
What is the hold up on putting Doctor Who out to tender? I have no idea. I imagine there is some legal woo-woo with lawyers and such I don't understand.
I will say that Dean Devlin taking up the reins of Doctor Who is, I think, a very good idea.
David Tennant coming back is NOT a very good idea.
Look, we all love David Tennant but I think if there is any concensus on the future of Doctor Who, it's that the show needs to move forward. If anything scuttled the Doctor Who run on Disney+, it was RTD's penchant for nostalgia.
If there is anything the fandom can agree about, whoever takes over the show needs to take a page from the 2005 playbook and hit the ground running with a new Doctor.
As for Dean Devlin running the show, well, I think he would be a great choice. Dean is a big Doctor Who fan and the show's influence can be keenly felt in his TV series The Librarians, both the original series and it's follow up, The Next Chapter.
Callum McGowan who plays Vikram Chamberlain on TNC would be a perfect person to play the Doctor.
Heck, if you wanna be bold and try for a female Doctor again, I think Olivia Morris who plays Lysa Pascal on TNC is a strong candidate.
Or maybe there might be a Tennant involved in Dean Devlin's ideas for Doctor Who but to quote the 8th Doctor, "It's not the one you were expecting".
While watching the season 2 TNC episode "And the Vanishing Bankers", I was struck by how good guest star Ty Tennant (David's son) might be as the Doctor.
But we are getting ahead of ourselves.
As for the internet rumor that Dean Devlin and Electric Entertainment running Doctor Who was a done deal?
No, it is not and Dean Devlin had something to say about that.
He confirmed that Electric Entertainment hopes to talk with the BBC about Doctor Who once the formal tender process officially opens. But no one has talked to anyone about anything at this time. And any other talk about any direction or casting for the series is just speculation.
While Andrea and I think Dean Devlin would be a great choice to produce Doctor Who, it is not a universally endorsed idea. I've seen people concerned about the Doctor being "Americanized". Whatever that means.
The entire lead cast of The Librarians: The Next Chapter is British. Don't mind the American accents for Lysa, Charlie and Connor.
I think Dean and his team have demonstrated via The Librarians that they have at least the very strong potential to oversee the future of Doctor Who.
But right now this is all just hopes and speculation.
____________________________________
Tomorrow: it's BLOG POST#5000!
That sounds important!
Geez! I better get working on that!
No comments:
Post a Comment