A couple of weeks back, I wrote a Doctor Who blog post where I said this:
As you know, the BBC announced it's intention to put Doctor Who out for tender.....As I write this, the BBC has not acted on that intention so as of right now, the BBC is not in talks with anyone to run the show...What is the hold up on putting Doctor Who out to tender? I have no idea. I imagine there is some legal woo-woo with lawyers and such I don't understand.
Well, a few days after I wrote that, the BBC put Doctor Who out for tender.
Here's what we know.
- The BBC is accepting applications from producers and studios to take over production of Doctor Who.
- The deadline for submitting those applications is October 2nd.
- By January 2027, the BBC will have narrowed those applications down to a short list of finalists.
- From that short list, the BBC will decide by April 2027 who will be the new production entity who will chart the future of Doctor Who.
- That entity will need to deliver a full season/series in 2028.
Yeah, that's a bit of a wait to get any kind of new Doctor Who but the good news is there is definitive plan to get new Doctor Who back on TV once more within this decade.
And it's still a shorter time frame than the dire wilderness years from 1989 to 2005.
In the meantime, I expect the usual churn of rumors and gossip on who has or has not submitted applications and who does or does not have the inside track to make the short list or who will or will not get picked by April 2027.
Well, it wouldn't be Doctor Who without rampant rumors and gossip.
No comments:
Post a Comment