Sunday, October 29, 2023

Matthew Perry

 Before we get to this week's Cinema Sunday, I wanted to put down some thoughts about Matthew Perry who died on Saturday at the age of 54. 

As I always say, the wrong people keep dying. 

And this one felt more wrong than most.

Six years younger than I am and beloved by millions of fans, why should Matthew Perry have to die? It makes no sense to me.

Matthew was best known for his role as Chandler Bing on Friends.  For all the fame and fortune that role brought him, he still struggled with a life beset by addictions to drugs and alcohol.  

In his memoir, Matthew Perry wrote of his time on thelong running comedy series.  Friends had been a safe place, a touchstone of calm for me; it had given me a reason to get out of bed every morning, and it had also given me a reason to take it just a little bit easier the night before.  It was the time of our lives. It was like we got some new piece of amazing news every day. Even I knew only a madman (which in many moments I had been nonetheless) would screw up a job like that.”

On the matter of his death, it appears Matthew Perry drowned in his hot tub.  Officials said that no drugs were found on scene and there were no signs of foul play but the circumstances of his death were under investigation.  

Matthew Perry didn't always have the easiest time with life and one hope he finds in death peace from the demons that afflicted him in life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Throwback Thursday: Here's a Tip: Buy Low, Sell High

In yesterday's post, I wrote about how my parents would eat at Hardee's unless we wanted to be fancy and then we would eat at Wendy&...