Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Mike's Amazing World of Comics

There is a site on the internet called Mike's Amazing World of Comics.

It is the BIGGEST waste of time on the internet. I go to this site and the next thing I know, I've lost hours exploring this site. Damn it, I have other things to do! 

BUT...

It is also the MOST FUN resource for comic books on the internet, a catalog of virtually every comic every published by anyone ever in the history of comics. 

Mike's Amazing World of Comics is perhaps the most comprehensive resource for comics history short of the Grand Comics Database.

My favorite feature is the Newstand which allows you to plug in any date and any year to see every comic book that was on sale at that time. 

I'll plug in times from when I was a kid first discovering comics and suddenly I'm back in time spinning a squeaky spinner rack, remembering the comics I bought and recalling the covers of books that I didn't get.  


I've spend many an hour deep diving into the Newstand to my mutual frustration and delight. 

There are galleries that feature among other things a collection of the super hero theme Hostess Snake Cake ads that ran from 1975 to 1981.  


I once read where Curt Swan made more money drawing a single Hostess ad than he did for a full comic book. 

In addition to the Newstand feature, you can research comics by Publisher, Title, Creator and more.  

Sadly, the Mike behind Mike's Amazing World of Comics is no longer with us. Comics historian Mike Voiles passed away last week. 

Yes, I will say what I always say: the wrong people keep dying. 

Reportedly Mike's Amazing World of Comics will continue after Mike's death which is good news.  This site is a wonderful resource and a remarkable legacy for a man who took what he loved and built something that is enjoyed by so many.

Thank you, Mike Voiles!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Sushi

Last week, I had my first sushi. While Andrea and I were out of town for our son's graduation from college, we took him and two of his f...