Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Dave-El Hostage Crisis Continues

Hi there! 

Dave-El here from my continuing hostage crisis here in the Fortress of Ineptitude. From Friday to Sunday, the sheet of ice covering my surroundings gave more than sufficient excuse to stay hunkered down. However, other forces were conspiring against me. 

To be honest, over the last week I have not been feeling that great, like was trying to get a cold or a sinus infection or some damn thing.  Whatever it was, it flared up big time Monday, making me feel horrible enough to do something I am usually quite loathed to do. 

I went to the doctor. 

I don't like going to the doctor because I never get the definitive answer I'm looking for. "Dave-El, you have Disease D47, here take this blue pill, you're better now, my work here is done, NEXT!" 

Of course medical science doesn't work that way. "Dave-El, you may have Disease D47 or Condition M72 or it could be just general yuckiness so I'm not sure I want to give you the blue pill since it may not be Disease D47 and the blue bill would cause more harm that good and make Condition M72 worse assuming you even have that which I'm not sure again it could be general yuckiness, just go back home, drink plenty of fluids and get plenty of rest and here's an enormous bill for this indecision."  

So I was happy when my doctor said on Monday, "Yep, it's a sinus infection." I like that! A defined illness with a specified cure. 

Except 2 days later I feel worse that ever. I've developed a really bad and persistent cough and I spend half my time either shivering or sweating profusely. Throw in some nausea and I'm calling it: I have the flu.  

To be fair, a doctor has not said I have the flu but I've been kicking around enough in this old body to know this ain't just a sinus infection. It actually feels like I did about 8 years ago when I had pneumonia but people freak out when you say pneumonia so I'm going with flu until I hear something different. 

Whatever it is, I feel like shit.

I've been trying to distract myself with some comedy.  I watched Jim Gaffigan's Beyond the Pale stand up special in its entirety. Jim Gaffigan is one my favorite stands ups and Beyond the Pale is Jim at his best as he explains the concepts of cake, Christmas and Easter traditions and, of course, Hot Pockets.  

I've also been binge watching Jerry Seinfeld's Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee. The premise of this web based series is pretty simple and it's right there in the title. Jerry picks up a comedian in a car and they go get coffee. But what evolves out of that is both funny and insightful into the mind of comedians. At the start of each episode, Jerry gives you a rundown of the car he's using to pick up that week's guest. It's usually some kind of classic and/or high performance vehicle. Jerry picks up Julia Louis Dreyfuss in an Aston Martin. But sometimes the cars aren't all that great. The 1971 Ferrari Jerry drives Amy Shumer around in breaks down. He picks up Jon Stewart in a AMC Gremlin. Then there was the time Jerry Seinfeld picked up David Letterman in a Volvo station wagon. But it was a special Volvo station wagon built by actor Paul Newman with a Ford V-8 engine under the hood. 

The episodes vary in length from as little as 10 to 12 minutes to as much as 20 minutes or more. It's a very nice looking package with professional editing and music scoring. The interactions between Jerry and his guests vary in quality a bit. Jerry does seem far more comfortable discussing comedy with a fellow comedian of his own generation. Still, all the installments of this series have a friendly kick back vibe that makes them a pleasure to watch.  

Well, that's all I've got at this time. The cough medicine my doctor prescribed is starting to kick in and the rainbow unicorn is telling me it's time to fly off to Apple Muffin Land where we will frolic and play with magic hedgehogs. 

Or something like that....

And I'm so glad my suffering amuses you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trump's Immunity Syndrome

 So last week the Supreme Court took up arguments from Donald Trump's legal team that Trump is due total immunity from prosecution for a...