Monday, July 17, 2017

Doctor Who: And Who's On Next?


Sunday saw the announcement of the new Doctor in the form of A 1 minute video of a dark garbed hooded person walking through a forest. This person's extended palm shows a key materialize to the sound of the TARDIS. 

Then we get a peek under the hood and we see an eye and...

Oh my God! 
Oh my God! 
Oh my God! 
Oh my God! 

THE NEXT DOCTOR IS A WOMAN!!!!

Then the hood is pulled back and...

Oh my God! 
Oh my God! 
Oh my God! 
Oh my God! 

THE NEXT DOCTOR IS A WOMAN!!!!



Well, it's about damn time, right? 

And which woman is this? It looks like it's....




Oh my God! 
Oh my God! 
Oh my God! 
Oh my God! 

THE NEXT DOCTOR IS JODIE WHITTAKER!!!!!

Click here for the video.  

I had NO idea that her name was even in contention until I saw news on Saturday that bookies in the U.K. had Jodie as a favorite.

I'm familiar with her work from Broadchurch but I didn't exactly peg her as Doctor material. But as soon as Jodie entered my awareness as a possible 13th Doctor, I quickly warmed to the idea. 

And when that hood was pulled back, my excitement over this development was beyond measure. 

And I'm not the only one to react to this news positively. 



Of course there was fan art immediately on the internet in support of this news. Jodie's head on Peter's body, for example...



...or this illustration based on Sunday's video release. 



Or this from artist Stephen Byrne.



Yes, there were naysayers making their ignorant voices heard but sadly, the trolls are always with us. 

For me, I am genuinely thrilled to see Doctor Who take this historic step with this particular actor. I hate to see Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat go but with Sunday's announcement, I am very excited to see what happens next with Jodie Whitakker and Chris Chibnall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: Star Wars Movies

  Today is May 4th which leads to "May the 4th be with you" which makes this Star Wars Day.  So today's Cinema Saturday will b...