Saturday, June 1, 2019

The First Day Of June: I'm Not Ready For This


Today is the first day of June.

 

The beginning of June marks a turning point for the year to date. 

 

Normally, my daughter Randie is staggering towards the end of a school year, intent on a summer doing as little as possible before getting ready to go back to school all over again in two months time.

 

This year, things are a bit different.  The end of this school year marks the end of school. Well, at least public school. In less than a week, Randie will stride across a stage to receive her diploma.

 

My daughter, the high school graduate.

 

I’m not ready for this. 

 

Was it just yesterday that Randie slipped her hand from mine to toddle off into her first pre-school class? I would swear that yes, it was just yesterday.

 

In two months, her education will resume but 2 hours and over a hundred miles to the east of here.

 

My daughter, the college student.

 

I’m not ready for that either.

 

For nearly two decades, every decision, every choice, every action has been based on three people. What we have for dinner, what we watch on television, what movies we see, everything we did, it was the three of us, Andrea, myself and our daughter.

 

In two months, she will be venturing off for life on her own.

 

I’m not sure how I’m going to cope with that.

 

I have every confidence in Randie. She will have her struggles, I know. But I believe in her. She is far stronger than I was when I first ventured forth for college nearly 4 decades ago. 

 

So today is the first day of June. We’ve been here before. But the next part of the journey is new.

 

I love my daughter and I have faith in her. 

 

Me? I’m not ready for this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Sunday: Woman Haters - The Debut of the Three Stooges

Today's Cinema Sunday post is about a short film that began a big impact on American pop culture.   Debuting on May 5, 1934, exactly 90 ...