Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Insurance Commercials

  



My wife Andrea and I still watch a lot of television the old fashioned way, on ad supported TV and cable networks. 

Of the various products and services still be hawked to captive viewers, the most common is home and auto insurance. We have seen enough of these that we've developed favorites.  

GEICO has a series of spots about home owners who have homes they love except for one little thing:

"We have a clogging problem."  Cut to dancers on a wooden floor upstairs... clogging.

"We're closer to the airport that we expected." Cut to an airline pilot and stewardess cutting through the kitchen.

Andrea's a big fan of the Muppets so this is her favorite GEICO ad.

"We have an animal in the attic."


Liberty Mutual tries to be funny with LIMU EMU & Doug. Despite getting 2nd billing, it's Doug who is truly passionate about saving you money on your home and auto insurance.  LIMU EMU will peck your eyes out because, well, he's an emu.

Progressive has it's long running series with Flo, a raven haired woman who really wants to help you bundle your home and auto insurance to save you money.  Flo has been running so long, she's developed a supporting cast with names and individual characteristics.  

But perhaps our absolute favorite home and auto insurance ad is from State Farm. Jake from State Farms assures specific customers that their low rates are for everyone but these customers think Jake just had to make a special deal for just them.

Such as pizza delivery person Parker...



If Andrea and I are watching something on DVR and we're fast-feeding through commercials, we will stop if we see this one. 

  • What the hell is a cuckoo crustie? C'mon, Parker! I wanna know!  
  • I do luvz me a brownie. Put "atomic" in front of "brownie" and you have my attention.
  • "And a side of ranch!" Parker's delivery on that line as they hand Jake a big honkin' jug of ranch just gets to me every time I see this ad.
There's a shorter version without Parker's list of things for Jake which makes Andrea and I sad. 

We wanted to hear Parker say "And a side of ranch." 

My daughter Randie is curious about Parker's back story.  

___________________________

Next week, the Tuesday TV Touchbase returns to TV shows.

Andrea and I have started watching Hawkeye on Disney+.  Some words about that next week.

I will also have watched Gilmore Girls all the way to the end as I finish up "A Year in the Life". I'll have something to say about that.  

And my future TV watching dance card for 2022 is starting to fill up.

  • Superman & Lois, season 3, returning January 14, 2022
  • Snowpiercer, season 3, January 24, 2022
  • The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, season 4, February 18, 2022.
  • Outlander, season 6, March 6, 2022.
  • The Orville, season 3, March 10, 2022 

Whoa! And that's not counting the mid season returns of Batwoman and Young Sheldon as well as my personal project to finish Justified

And Star Trek Discovery

And...

OK, I gotta lot of TV to watch! 

Tomorrow, it's Doctor Who Is NEW! as I post about this past Sunday's episode, the season finale of Series 13. 

Until next time, remember to be good to one another and try to keep it down in there, would ya? I'm trying to watch TV over here.   

"And a side of ranch!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: My Dinner With Andre

Well, it's been a wild ride on Cinema Saturday for the month of April.   We started off with a nuclear submarine on a mission to stop a ...