Thursday, December 16, 2021

Enjoy Sin NOW!

There's a church across the street from our neighborhood that likes to put "clever" messages on the sign out front. 

Like "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil: no point".

When I was a kid, as much as I liked to write and draw, I was frequently  forced to use pencils right down to the nub because we were poor, damn it. 

To me, an unsharpened pencil was a good thing in that it meant I had that rarest of things, a new pencil. 

And we may have been poor but I did have a pencil sharpener so I could use that pencil too! 

That church recently changed it's sign to this:

"Sin is like a credit card: enjoy it now, pay later."

Maybe I'm not looking at this correctly but this is the message I got from this.'

"Sin is like a credit card: enjoy it now, pay later."

That may not be what church was trying to tell me but it's their fault for putting "Sin... enjoy it now" in their sign.

When I was a much younger Dave-El, I grew up in a very small Southern 99% Baptist town. Our idea of religious diversity was we had some Methodists. What those heathens were doing with their Sunday nights, I have no idea.  

I was frequently subjected to testimonials from people looking to connect with "the young people" who were, you know, "down" with how we think. Full of shame, some dude would talk to us young people about his downward spiral of drinking and/or drugs and having sex with a lot of women until one day JESUS saved his soul and now he is on the path of righteousness and alleluia and if we too get right with the LORD we too can be saved by JESUS and we too can be on the path of righteousness. 

And I would hear these words and as I pondered my relationship with Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, I wondered, "The women he had sex with? Exactly how many is 'a lot'?"   

Could I have sex with at least ONE woman before I had to take the path of righteousness? Look, I'm young, still a virgin. Is it too much to ask for a woman to at least cop of feel of my penis before I go on the path of righteousness? I'm not sure I want to be on the path of righteousness without having touched boob! 

This dude got to have sex with a lot of women before JESUS took him on the path of righteousness. (I really need to have a quantification of what "a lot" means!)

And he wants ME on the path of righteousness before I even have KISSED a girl?!?!

Oh hell no!!!

Which brings us back to our lesson for today.   

"Sin is like a credit card: enjoy it now, pay later."

Before you go on the path of righteousness.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: My Dinner With Andre

Well, it's been a wild ride on Cinema Saturday for the month of April.   We started off with a nuclear submarine on a mission to stop a ...