Saturday, January 22, 2022

Songs For Saturday: Robert Palmer

 


Today's Songs For Saturday focuses on a single artist, Robert Palmer. He was born on January 19, 1949 and this past Wednesday would've been his 73rd birthday. Sadly, he passed away in 2003.

I'm not sure when I first heard our opening tune for today's playlist. I don't remember "Johnny and Mary" being played a lot on radio but it's accompanying video probably made the rounds on the nascent MTV in the early 1980s.  I know the music stuck around in my head for decades long after I forgot the words.  

Leading off today's Songs For Saturday playlist from Robert Palmer's 1980 album Clues is "Johnny and Mary".  



Moving from the synth pop new wave style of "Johnny and Mary" to a harder edge rock 'n' roll, Robert Palmer joined up with members of Duran Duran to form Power Station.  

Bringing the heat as he blows the roof of the joint, here is Robert Palmer with Power Stations and "Some Like It Hot" 



Robert Palmer's biggest success came with a series of records like Addicted to Love" and "Simply Irresistible" which were accompanied by stylish music videos directed by British fashion photographer Terence Donovan, featuring blank faced fashion models dressed in black.  


My favorite of these songs was "I Didn't Mean to Turn You On" which was written by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis and originally performed by Cherrelle in 1984.

From 1986, here's Robert Palmer's version of "I Didn't Mean to Turn You On".  


Robert Palmer was a gifted performer who was taken from us too soon in 2003. 

And that is that for this week's Songs For Saturday.  

Until next time, remember to be good to one another and to always keep the music alive.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Sushi

Last week, I had my first sushi. While Andrea and I were out of town for our son's graduation from college, we took him and two of his f...