Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Star Wars Day

 Today is May the 4th and we all know what that means.


Yeah, it's Star Wars Day.

I'm not really all that excited about it.

I've never really been all that into Star Wars as opposed to other fandoms I geek out over like Doctor Who and Star Trek.

My first exposure to Star Wars was not "A New Hope" but Marvel's Star Wars comics.  

Specifically this issue was my first Star Wars comic.  


I actually did not get to see the first Star Wars movie until a re-release in 1979, two years after it first premiered.  

Star Wars when it's good as it gets for me is a sugar rush, a big thrill while it's happening but followed up by lingering questions and regrets later. 

Unlike my long running loyalty to Doctor Who and Star Trek, I run hot and cold when it comes to Star Wars.  

I like Star Wars well enough to totally freak out when Luke Skywalker shows up at the end of the 2nd season of The Mandolorian.

I don't like Star Wars well enough to bother with The Book of Bobba Fett

When my favorite Star Wars movie is Solo: A Star Wars Story, I'm pretty far off the beaten path from most Star Wars fans.  

If you like Star Wars, fine. That's your thing and I respect that.

I could through rocks at your Star Wars fandom: Jar Jar Binks, long stretches of Senate hearings on trade routes, Luke's atrocious characterization in "The Last Jedi".  

But you know all that already.

As a Doctor Who fan, I have things to suffer with: Colin Baker's costume, executive producer Chris Chibnall. Put on my Star Trek hat and then I've got to answer for Nemesis or Picard Season 2. 

We all have our burdens to bear.

All in all, Star Wars is... okay, I guess.  

It's just not my thing. 

But in the spirit of the day, "May the 4th be with you."  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Sushi

Last week, I had my first sushi. While Andrea and I were out of town for our son's graduation from college, we took him and two of his f...