Thursday, July 23, 2026

Comic Book Retro Spotlight: "There's No Hope In Crime Alley"

When I wasn't doing my 50 year comic flashback posts every month, I missed some months with some comics that were influential in my nascent comic book collecting days.

One of those months was December 1975 and one of those issues was Detective Comics#457.

It starts off with this gorgeous cover by Dick Giordano with colors by Tatjanna Wood.  



The lead story in this issue was "There's No Hope In Crime Alley" written by Denny O'Neil and illustrated by Dick Giordano. 
 

I actually did a post about this issue back on July 24, 2014, almost to day 12 years ago.  

I've been doing this blog that long.

What have I done with my life? 

Sorry. I need to sit with myself and be depressed.

...

...

...

OK, I'm back. So if you don't mind, I'm going to let my 12 year younger self do most of the heavy lifting for this post.

Old person me will return at the end.   

#########################################################

Today I wanted to take a look at a story that I read way back in my youth, a story that continues to be a favorite of mine and of many other Bat-fans, "There's No Hope In Crime Alley".


Written by Denny O'Neil and illustrated by Dick 
Giordano, it relates the tale of Batman revisiting the site of his parents' murder on the anniversary of their deaths. But 
more, he's on the lookout for a particular individual. 
































It seems in modern Batman stories, you can't go more than 
a month or two without seeing Thomas and Martha Wayne 
being shot dead and poor young Bruce left alone with his 
grief and his rage.  But when I first started reading comics 
on a regular basis, this was not always the case. Now 
I can't swear to the veracity of my memory on this but I do 
believe "There Is No Hope..." is the first time I had witnessed 
a modern telling of the seminal event that led to 
Bruce Wayne's destiny as the Batman.  








































I may not have been quite as young as Bruce Wayne is 
depicted here when I read this story but I was still young 
enough to understand the raw terror of watching your parents murdered. 

What O'Neil adds here is the element of someone 
who took this devastated young boy in her arms and did 
what she could to help.

As we discover, it is this woman that Batman is keeping 
watch for, this woman who showed him kindness and 
compassion. And for the first time, I truly realized the pain 
at the core of Bruce Wayne that drives the Batman to 
do what he does. 





































I've not sure what led editor Julius Schwartz 
to get Dick Giordano to draw this story. 

By this point, Giordano was no longer the mainstay inker of 
the Bat titles he had been earlier in the 1970's, working 
with Irv Novick, Bob Brown and Neal Adams

But there's a certain grounded quality to Giordano's 
work that underscores the reader's empathy with O'Neil's 
words and the actions of the Batman. So kudos to 
Dick Giordano for a magnificent job as well as to 
Julie Schwartz for getting him.  

But a tip of the hat to Denny O'Neil who crafts an 
extraordinary story in those brief 12 pages. 

When Batman finally meets up with Leslie Thompkins, we 
find two people shaped by the same tragedy. But whereas 
Bruce swore vengeance on all criminals and took up 
the guise of a bat to bring fear to evildoers, Leslie 
Thompkins pursues her work with the same 
kindness and compassion she gave to young Bruce.  

And through her, Batman realizes that maybe there is hope in 
Crime Alley after all. 

#########################################################

'Tis I, OLD Dave-El back.  Detective Comics#457 
also featured an Elongated Man back up, 
the conclusion of a two parter by Bob 
Rozakis and Kurt Shaffenberger.


Given the lighter tone of most Elongated 
stories, I'm a bit surprised Schaffenberger 
wasn't called on more often to draw his adventures.

Ralph Dibny drank a formula called "Gingold" to 
give him is stretching powers. It had been 
established that Sue was allergic to this 
formula so one central mystery to this tale is 
how is she doing that?


Sue saves Ralph and reveals the tricks of her trade.


So Sue loses out on recognition for her own achievements but 
hey, she's part of a power couple so there's that. 

Hey, it was 1975. We thought polyester was a fashion choice 
so what did we know?  

But the main driving force was that poweful lead story,

Over the years, the role of Leslie Thompkins has been retconned
where she became a medical doctor who knows Batman is Bruce Wayne and has provided medical assistance to Batman and his retinue.

Thompkins is still a character driven by compassion but she has a sharper edge to her and less than patient with Bruce's chosen 
life of violence.    



by Mike W Barr, Alan Davis and Paul Neary , Detective Comics#574 (1987)


#########################################################

Next week: Comic Book Retro 50 returns with a look at the comic books I bought in July 1976.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: Homer Simpson's The Odyssey

The Odyssey from director Christopher Nolan is currently in theaters amassing major box office and glowing reviews. It's 3 hours long. ...