Thursday, July 9, 2026

This (Non) Sporting Life: Midday Baseball

Yesterday, I got paid to watch baseball in the middle of the day.

It's another edition of This (Non) Sporting Life, a blog post about sports by a guy who does not know much and cares even less about sports.

(Wait! Two of these "This (Non) Sporting Life" posts in a row? For "a guy who does not know much and cares even less about sports", that's a lot of sports!)  

The occasion was a company event for employees to have some "fun" watching the Greensboro Grasshoppers.

If you call sitting in the baking hot sun with an overpriced hot dog watching a game I was not invested in "fun".

To be fair, I did not pay for the overpriced hot dog, my employer did that. And I have to admit it was a very good hot dog.

But $6 for a plain hot dog is a lot. 

And damn, the weather was hot.



As I exclusively work from home these days, this was a rare chance to perhaps get in touch with some people from when I worked in the office.

Which is ironic because when I did work in the office, I would actively try to avoid interacting with people. Now I'm choosing to do that when I don't have to?  

I saw exactly 3 people I knew. Dude, where is everybody I used to know? It's enough to make me feel old if I didn't already feel old just getting up in the morning.

The potential onset of heat stroke wasn't helping my disposition.

Before I left the cool safety of my work from home, my boss told me relax and stay as long as I wanted.

I made it to the 3rd inning before I called my participation in this "fun" due to thermal nuclear meltdown.

Hey, here's Guilford the Grasshopper who has a really GREAT job being a total goofball for a living AND the absolutely WORST job having to work in a fur suit in 90+ degree weather.


Here's a selfie of me and I have questions.

  • Who am I?
  • Why am I here?
  • Do I remember where I parked?
  • Should I get another hot dog?

The heat is getting to me.


Well, the ball game got me out of the house which is a rare thing. I hardly go anywhere outside the Fortress of Ineptitude. 

Such as when I make a semi-regular pilgrimmage to Acme Comics.

Which brings us to the 2nd post of the day.

Up in a few hours: Batman! 

Who I am sure does not go to midday baseball games.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other People Have Something To Say

If you read today's earlier post on my thoughts about Christa Pike and the death penalty, well, God bless you and thank you for your sac...