Thursday, September 22, 2022

Super Heroes Vs. Bad Grammar

Last week, I mentioned I was reading DC's latest "world's will live, world's will die" crossover epic, Dark Crisis On Infinite Earths. 

The precipitating event leading into the Dark Crisis was the death of the Justice League.

We can't forget about this tragic event as we are constantly reminded:

"The Justice League Are Dead!"

"The Justice League Are Dead!"

"The Justice League Are Dead!"

Except....

Does anyone but me have a problem with that sentence.

The Justice League is not plural. It is a single entity,  a group, an alliance, however you want to define it. 

There was a Justice League. 

There was the Justice League,

The term "Justice League" is singular. 

The subject in this sentence...

"The Justice League Are Dead!"

...is singular. 

But the verb in this sentence...

"The Justice League Are Dead!"

...is plural.   

The subject (Justice League) is not in agreement with the verb (are).   

The correct grammar for this sentence would be...

"The Justice League Is Dead!"

Bad grammar is the knife blade to the heart of drama.




No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Sushi

Last week, I had my first sushi. While Andrea and I were out of town for our son's graduation from college, we took him and two of his f...