Wednesday, January 25, 2023

A Not So Strange Loop

When Andrea and I first moved into what we now know today as the Fortress of Ineptitude, the roads around the area were a lot more different than they are today.  

Two lane roads where there are now highways.

No roads at all where there are now interstates.  

Among those thoroughfare developments is the big project around Greensboro called the Urban Loop.  

For years, the section of the Loop near our home was a long row of dirt and grass before the first layer of pavement was put down. It seemed like it took forever before that layer of pavement was adorned with any lines and another forever after that before it was put to use. 

Even then the Loop was not quite a loop, ending at Bryan Blvd  while in the miles beyond, the pathway remained rutted dirt lined by the debris of trees. 

Then another section would open. 

About two years ago, the Loop came within 4 miles of finally being a loop. 

Until Monday when a group of local and state dignitaries cut the ribbon on the last section and finally, the Urban Loop actually loops the city.  

I guess I would not otherwise remark on the completion of a road on my blog except over the last 2 decades, I watched it grow from a idea on paper to tracts of bare land to an actual functioning highway. 

It is astonishing to me how much the topography not just of this city in general but specifically in proximity of my home has changed.  

Everything used to be so different.

Now there is a loop around the city that was not there before.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Throwback Thursday: Here's a Tip: Buy Low, Sell High

In yesterday's post, I wrote about how my parents would eat at Hardee's unless we wanted to be fancy and then we would eat at Wendy&...