Monday, February 19, 2024

How Old Is Too Old?

How old is too old?


It is a question of some compelling importance here in this presidential election year. 


The guy who holds the job right now is 81 years old. He is the oldest person to ever hold the post of President of the United States.


The dude looking to take the job back is 77 years old.  


How old is too old?

I suppose it's all relative. 


As the saying goes, you're only as old as you feel. 


Biden felt pretty mad about it recently.  

 

An investigation into Biden’s possession of documents he wasn’t supposed to have concluded there was no significant wrongdoing and besides, he’s a kind elderly man with a fading memory so cut him some slack, OK?

 

Biden didn’t take too well to that assessment, held a news conference to assure everyone he’s hard working SOB and not some doddering senior citizen who doesn’t know where he is.

 

Then he misidentified the President of Egypt as the President of Mexico.

 

OK, that kind of thing can happen to any one at any age but when you’re friggin’ 81 years old and you’re trying to convince everyone who have all your marbles, it is absolutely the worst time to send a marble skittering across the floor. 

 

Is Joe Biden too old?

 

I’m gonna be blunt here: hell yeah he is.

 

Look, I think he’s a LOT more capable than the idiot running against him who wants the job back. 


But there is no denying the march of time and the effect it has on the best of us.  


President Biden walks slower, talks slower. Being 81 has hit him hard and who can blame him when he's doing what might be the second most difficult job of all, being President of the frickin' United States.


And he has to also do what may THE most difficult job, running for President of the frickin' United States.


Biden insists he can do all these things even at age 81 and maybe he can. It IS all relative, I suppose, and you're only as old as you feel.  


While Democrats are scared to death that their guy is too close to death, Republicans are just going to town on the narrative that Joe Biden is in cognitive decline. 


You know, the party that has Donald Trump as their angry orange tinted sexually assaulting insurrection leading senior citizen con artist Jesus is telling people Biden is the one with mental problems.


Yeah, about that...


Apparently age 77 doesn't sound OLD compared to age 81? 


You know, Joe might talk slower and lower but when he does speak, it's usually in sentences with understandable subject/verb structure.  


Because Trump yells things, he doesn't seem as old? Even if the stuff he's yelling doesn't make sense. 


Like when he told voters in Pennsylvania that if the Democrats win, they're gonna change the name of Pennsylvania. 


Because....?  


Of windmills? I don't know.  


But it's Biden who has the cognitive problems, right....


You know, I think instead of tap dancing (or shuffling) around the issue, Biden should lean into the age thing: 


"Am I too old? Hell yeah I'm too old. I'm 81 years old. I should be taking it easy in my retirement, watching my grand kids play in the pool and just enjoying the hell out of what is call the golden years. 


"But NO! At 81 years old, I've got to keep working because of THAT IDIOT! 


"You know, the one who claims to be such a good businessman but can only succeed by lying and cheating! That's not me! A court of law said Trump's business is based on lies!


"You know, the one who sexually assaulted a woman then had the gall to talk bad about her! Again, that's not me! There's a court of law that says he's guilty of all that.


"Yeah I'm 81 years old and I am too old to have to worry about THAT IDIOT but worry about him I do! Because he is a threat to OUR democracy and to our allies around this world.


"You know, the guy that said that Russia could do whatever the hell they want to our allies.


"You know, the guy who refuses to abide by the rules of our government because his feelings got hurt when he lost the 2020 election.


"THAT IDIOT who said after the confrontation in Charlottesville that there were good people on both sides and one of those sides was frickin' NAZIS!   


"Am I too old? Maybe I am! Maybe I wanted to be doing something else with the last years of my life.


"But as long as THAT IDIOT, that criminally negligent, morally bankrupt IDIOT is a threat to America, I still have a job to do.


"Am I too old? Yeah, I walk slower but I will keep walking! I may talk quieter but I will never be silenced. 


"I AM too old but I am NOT dead! And I will keep fighting.


"After I've had a nap! I'm 81, dammit! Cut me some slack."






No comments:

Post a Comment

Throwback Thursday: Here's a Tip: Buy Low, Sell High

In yesterday's post, I wrote about how my parents would eat at Hardee's unless we wanted to be fancy and then we would eat at Wendy&...