Thursday, July 15, 2021

Older But Not Wiser

The fam absconded from the Fortress of Ineptitude Sunday for what I am going to call brunch.

I know what sounds so sophisticated, all upscale and pretentious, "brunch".   

I'll undermine any pretentions at sophistication by admitting that we were eating at Denny's. 

Our daughter Randie actually likes eating at Denny's and Andrea is pretty much OK almost anywhere. I'm not particularly picky. I don't expect food at a place like Denny's to be great, just good. And my experience with Denny's is that it meets that bar.

And we were eating breakfast for lunch.

So...

The fam absconded from the Fortress of Ineptitude Sunday for brunch.

There was another family sitting across the way with a baby boy who I made eye contact with. 

This baby seemed to find me fascinating. 

This is not uncommon for me. In public, I will often myself in eye contact with a baby. The baby will look at me with interest, trying figure out what they're witnessing.  Despite looking like one of the giant humans that perpetually surround them, I wonder if these babies detect some kind of kindred spirit. 

I suspect I have more in common with babies that my fellow adults.

With age, it is said, comes wisdom. But I think that step skipped me.

Or I skipped that step. One way or another.  

I've had cause to reflect on where I am in life, my distressing lack of self control and my infuriating lack of wisdom that is supposed to come to one of my advancing years.  

I know there is no age when anyone has all the answers but damn it, I think I should have more of a handle on some of those answers.

But I do not.

I am at an age where I should be of more help, a useful person who provides something positive to the lives of others.

To often, I find myself feeling my influence is more negative than positive. 

If I had the true wisdom that comes with age, I should be able to offer the reverse of that.

Instead I feel I have more in common with babies.

No wonder they like me so much. 


OK, enough wallowing in self-pity. 

Until next time, remember to be good to one another. 

And I'll try to remember that too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Fallout

This Saturday, Andrea and I watched the White House Correspondents Dinner .  And it is what it says on the packaging: dinner.   For about 90...