Saturday, July 31, 2021

Songs For Saturday: Pete Townsend, They Might Be Giants & 10,000 Maniacs

 



We've got three live tracks for this week's Songs For Saturday.

Starting off today's play list in an epic live version of what might be my favorite song by Pete Townsend, "A Little Is Enough".   


Before we move on this week's second song on the playlist, here's a little background. 

On March 11, 2017, I wrote this about the surgery on my elbow. 

We open inside a hospital awash with white florescent light with humming and beeping filling the background noises, joined by the low murmurs of nurses checking on their patients.  In one bed is a man with disheveled hair and beard, who’s eyes slowly open to a thin slit, then close tight, the effort too much. Then those eyes open slightly wider. Again, this effort expended is too much and his eyes close again.

 Suddenly, the nurses pause in their duties when they hear…

...singing?

I get knocked down, but I get up again

You are never gonna keep me down

Yes, singing which is coming from the man with the disheveled hair and beard. His eyes are still closed but yes, he’s singing.

I get knocked down, but I get up again

You are never gonna keep me down

I get knocked down, but I get up again

You are never gonna keep me down

And that man, dear reader, was me after the operation on my elbow.  

It was a few weeks after that surgery while still at home in recovery, I discovered this this cover of the Chumbawumba classic  "Tubthumping" by They Might Be Giants, recorded in a break room with the staff of the AV Club.   


I've already posted this next song in the Songs for Saturday from Saturday, December 26, 2020 but hardly a week goes by that I don't listen to this at least once.

So here it is again: "More Than This" by 10,000 Maniacs.



And that is that for today's Song For Saturday.

Until next time, remember to be good to one another and to always keep the music alive.    



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Fallout

This Saturday, Andrea and I watched the White House Correspondents Dinner .  And it is what it says on the packaging: dinner.   For about 90...