Wednesday, April 10, 2024

This (Non) Sporting Life: What? More Sports Ball?!?!

 Welcome to another edition of This (Non) Sporting Life, my blog post about sports by a guy who knows little about sports.

In a previous sports post, I made a cavalier remark about not watching women's basketball. Which apparently put me on the wrong side of the zeitgeist.  

During the respective NCAA Basketball Tournaments for Men and Women, it was the women's games that sparked the most interest. 

Hell, the domination of interest in the Women's Tournament over the Men's games was the subject of the cold open on last week's Saturday Night Live



A lot of that interest was driven by a couple of narratives. One was that of Iowa's Caitlin Clark, a player of extraordinary skill. Clark's skills belied any qualifier that she's the best female player in college basketball. Every time I saw a clip of her in action on the court and I'm thinking, "How can one person be this damn good at this game?" 

By almost any measure, Caitlin Clark's the best player in college basketball, full stop.

But would it be enough to stop the unstoppable force of South Carolina, a team that had not lost even one game all season? 

In the NCAA Women's Final, South Carolina vs. Iowa promised to be an epic match up for the ages.

And I missed it. 

Look, I may not be big on sports but I was kind of interested in this game. But when I flipped on the television to see what time that evening the game would on, there was a score alert: South Carolina over Iowa 87-75. 

Well, damn. 

I may have missed it but enough other people did with the game averaging 18.9 million viewers.  

Which is more than the 14.8 million people who watch UConn defeat Purdue in the Men's Final.  

I caught a bit of that one near the end and it was a snooze. 

Since my last sports post, "my" team of Duke Blue Devils did not advance out of the Elite 8 but the impossible NC State Wolfpack did, punching their ticket to the Final Four. 

Where their miracle juice finally ran out. 

And also I think my oddly more intense interest in sports has sputtered to a close. 

This attention to sports seems way out of character.  

Let's wrap up this post with a video from Garfunkel and Oates who best summarize my usual attitude and knowledge of sports.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Fallout

This Saturday, Andrea and I watched the White House Correspondents Dinner .  And it is what it says on the packaging: dinner.   For about 90...