Wednesday, April 24, 2024

An April 24th Birthday Post

I was born on April 24, 1963 which makes me 61 years old today.

But I am not quite frankly that interesting and I'm not exactly where I want to be in life right now so let's look at someone else who was also born on that same date and actually did something with their life. 

American singer songwriter Paula Frazer was born April 24, 1963. After growing up in Georgia and Arkansas, she moved to San Francisco in 1981. 


In 1981, I'm cautiously lurching 4 hours away from my parents' house to go to college with some vague idea that I'm going to do... something? In the field of radio or television, I guess?

Meanwhile this woman has removed herself from the backwoods of Georgia and Arkansas, traverses the god damn Continental Divide to arrive in fucking San Francisco to start a music career. 

We both started as babies on the same damn date but our progress to date in life is hardly on par with one another. 

Her music is a melancholic alternative country with an eclectic mix of folk, blues and pop, among other genres. 

She first came to notice by fronting the band Tarnation in the 1990s. 

In the 1990's, I've worked at 3 different jobs in the financial services sector by... I don't know, accident, default, dumb luck? Hell if I know. 

Paula set out to make music. Paula is making music.   

Here is a track from Paula Frazer & Tarnation, "Another Day".


Paula Frazer's music is beautiful but damn it is melancholic which really isn't helping my gloomy gus mood.

Frazer has partnered up with other music acts such as  Cornershop, Sean Lennon, Frightwig, Tindersticks, the Czars, and Handsome Boy Modeling School.  

Paula is popular and good at what she does. She gets opportunities to play with other people.  

I... am not.  Fuck me! This post is depressing!!! 

Frazer is also a professional weaver.

So she's got that going for her.   

Below is a track from Paula  Frazer & Tarnation, "August's Song".


Happy birthday, Paula. I'm glad I discovered your music. 

We both started as newborns on April 24, 1963. Paula Frazer turned her debut into this world into something beautiful and worthwhile.

And I....

Shit! I gotta bring this post in for a landing!  

Sorry to be such a bummer.   

You know what? I really need to lift my spirits. 

And what better way to do that than...


 ... a dancing taco!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Sunday: Woman Haters - The Debut of the Three Stooges

Today's Cinema Sunday post is about a short film that began a big impact on American pop culture.   Debuting on May 5, 1934, exactly 90 ...