Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Eclipse 2024


Yesterday was the big event that captured the imagination of a nation, the big solar eclipse of 2024.

I missed it. 

One, the path of totality (where the moon was fully blocking the moon) came nowhere near North Carolina. 

I mean, we still got some weird shit. I stepped outside the Fortress of Ineptitude around 3:15 PM and there were shadows of the trees on the ground in a way they are NOT normally there. And there was a weird milky twilight in the air. 

I did not have special glass and I did not dare look up. 

(There's a post tomorrow about my particular issue with solar eclipses.)   

Mostly I was busy at work and what I could observe through the windows was a mild darkening of the sky one might see when a cloud passes over the sun.  

In other places, where the path of totality darkened the sky to night, others found dramatic experiences to coincide with the eclipse.

Such as getting married. 




I'm not sure the moon blocking out the sun and descending the day into darkness is the best portent for a happy marriage.  

Various videos set to Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" filled up my Tik Tok feed.

Or if you prefer.... "Total Eclipse of the Cat."


The United State was divided by the path of totality. 

Either "Holy shit! It's totally dark, dude!"

Or "Did a cloud just go by other something?"  



In the path of totality, people gathered in throngs to witness this special event. 

One of the states in the path was Arkansas and Governor Sarah Huckabee Sanders proclaimed a state of emergency. She claimed it was for practical reasons, the provide resources to help manage the expected influx of people into the state. 

But given she is a ultra religious right wing nut case, you just know a little "fear of God" got into her. 



Anyway this rare celestial event passed through the sky over America and I was here for it.

But I missed it. 

Oh, look! It's on TV and on Tik Tok.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Fallout

This Saturday, Andrea and I watched the White House Correspondents Dinner .  And it is what it says on the packaging: dinner.   For about 90...