Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Celebrity Wheel of Fortune Plus Superman and Green Lantern

Before we get underway, good news for a show I watch: Stuart Fails To Save the Universe has been renewed for Season 2. 

Now if we can only get similar good news for a 3rd season of The Librarians: The Next Chapter. Please? Pretty please?


Andrea and I finally finished up Celebrity Wheel of Fortune.  Instead of running these episodes once a week on ABC as God intended (I'm sure it's in the Bible somewhere), the 2nd half of season 6, 10 episodes were dropped at one time on Hulu.

While I am down with the young people (see Friday's post for proof of that), I don't understand this need to cringe filange wench binge TV shows at one time.   

And I certainly can't see anyone sitting down to watch 10 episodes of Celebrity Wheel of Fortune at one time.

I mean, I know a little weed can work wonders but there is only so much lifting the Mary G. Wanna can do to get through 10 hours of Ryan & Vanna and celebrities of questionable celebrity status.  

Below is a photo from the season 6 finale with Mary Elizabeth Ellis, Kelly McCreary and Billy Gardell.  I knew who Billy was.  He's a comedian and actor who used to be "how is his heart NOT exploding" super fat when he was on Mike & Molly, then he went on a GLP1 shot and now he's "how many years has this man been dead" thin. 

I had to Wiki who Mary Elizabeth and Kelly were.


Kelly plays a doctor on Grey's Anatomy and Mary Elizabeth is a character known only as "the Waitress" on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Kelly and Mary Elizabeth did well with some big wins but Billy had to settle for pity money.

"Pity money" is my euphemism for the least amount of money a person can win on Wheel of Fortune just for showing up. For Celebrity Wheel of Fortune, it's $30,000 for the celebrity's charity.  

Most episodes of Celebrity Wheel of Fortune have me complaining either "Who are you people?" or "I didn't know <insert name> was still alive".  

Some "celebrities" are also questionable in their assertions they've actually ever watched Wheel of Fortune with displays of bad game decisions and surprising failures to solve puzzles.

Well, Andrea seems to enjoy Celebrity Wheel of Fortune well enough so I will endeavor to endure.  

An endeavor that must continue as Season 7 is on the way.

___________________________________

Andrea and I finished the season 3 finale of My Adventures With Superman.  The season began with questions and concern about the future. 

Kara Zor-El needs to figure out her new life on Earth and her relationship with Jimmy Olsen. 

Meanwhile, Clark has visions of domestic bliss with Lois that involve a farm and city girl Lois ain't quite so sure about that.

The season progressed with the future coming to visit.  Time travelling from a dystopian apocalyptic future is Clark and Lois's son Jonathan, AKA Superboy.  He's there to re-write that future by preventing his dad from being killed by Hank Henshaw, the Cyborg Superman created by Lex Luthor.   
  • Good news: Jonathan keeps Clark from dying.
  • Bad news: Clark loses his super powers.
  • Worst news: the future Jonathan returns to is worse than ever.
While Clark struggles with his relevance and worth without super powers, Lois and Clark get another visit from the future.

It's a different Jonathan who is crankier and surlier than the one who visited Lois and Clark before.

And this Jonathan has brought his sister, Laurel. 

So Lois now has a future where she gets pregnant TWICE to give birth to TWO super powered children.  

And those two kids and Kara are all that stand between the Eradicator, another damn weapon Lex Luthor lost control of, and total annihilation.  

Meanwhile, Clark's quest to regain his powers takes him to the Fortress of Ineptitude...Oops! That's where I live! <ahem!> To the Fortress of Solitude where Braniac sends Clark into Krypton's past to repel alien invaders to prove his strength.

Except Clark discovers that the aliens who have come to Krypton are not attacking but are refugees. (Any connections to real word events are I'm sure just a coincidence. Wink!) 

Overall,season 3 of My Adventures With Superman felt a bit uneven and chaotic.  As the ultimate knock down drag out slugfest against Eradicator unfolds, I had to struggle a bit to remember how did we get here.  

The resolution of that battle seemed to lack for me a real emotional payoff.  It just came to an end. 

SPOILER: Clark is Superman again! But he is reticent on exactly what price did he pay to regain his power.

Less reticent is Lois about the future.

Lois drops to one knee and asks Clark to marry her. 


We'll see how all this shakes out in Season 4.
 
___________________________________

Andrea and I caught up to the debut of Lanterns, the HBO Max series about DC Comics' Green Lanterns.   Kyle Chandler and Aaron Pierre star as Hal Jordan and John Stewart.

John has admired Hal since childhood and is earnest and sincere in being trained as a Green Lantern.

Hal has aged into a bitter curmudgeon prick who is more than a little reluctant to train this newcomer in the use of the power ring.

Hal understands the assignment: he's not training John as a back up.  He's training his replacement.

The core of the action takes place in 2016 in a small town called Rushville, Nebraska.  A mass murder has taken place at a high school football game and Hal suspects alien involvement.

The sheriff's office has arrested a suspect in the killing and Hal confronts him.  Just because Hal Jordan is a cranky sonevabitch doesn't mean he can't be right about things.

Yep! The fucker is an alien who can 'SPLODE!  Hal saves Rushville and perhaps the whole state by ringing up a force bubble.  

BIG OL' HONKING SPOILER! 
...
...
...

(Seriously! Spoiler alert!) 
...
...
...
The end of the first episode takes us to 2026 and the sheriff has summoned John Stewart back to Rushville.  Sitting in the stands of the football field is Hal Jordan. Dead.  His ring: missing.
...
...
...
...
...

(End of Spoiler alert!) 

Lanterns has a dark somber vibe as it's central mystery in 2016 plays out like a film noir detective story.   

While this version of Hal Jordan is an ornery cuss, Kyle Chandler does he damnedest to  make him endearing, even possibly likeable with flashes of wit and humanity bleeding through the hubris and selfishness.

Lanterns may have a realistic Earth bound setting but it doesn't ignore the more fantastic components of the Green Lantern comic book mythology: the Guardians of the Universe, the Man hunters, Sinestro.  

By the way, you might wonder how does the Guy Gardner Green Lantern from Superman (2025) factor into this? That answer will be forthcoming when Nathan Fillion guest stars on an upcoming episode.   

Lanterns has set the stage for a complex and very engaging storyline.  

That is that for this week's Tuesday TV Touchbase.

Until next time, remember to be good to one another and try to keep it down in there, would ya? I'm trying to watch TV over here.   




No comments:

Post a Comment

Après La Coloscopie 2: Electric Boogaloo

Back in January, I wrote a blog post called   Après La Coloscopie which is "after the colonoscopy" in French. I experienced my fi...