Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Hudson & Rex and Late Nite With Seth Meyers

And we’re back! 

Well, kinda/sorta.

I’m still on a blog break but I thought I would poke my head in a minute to look around.  

Normally the Tuesday TV Touchbase is where on Tuesday I touch base on what I’m watching on TV.  

Since things are a bit weird on the blog this week, on this Tuesday I will touch base on what I’m NOT watching on TV.


TUESDAY 
TV
TOUCHBASE

 

Hudson & Rex

After cycling through seasons 1 through 7 repeatedly, Up TV recently began airing episodes from season 8 of Hudson & Rex

Getting new episodes of a show we like would normally be cause for celebration.

But Andrea and I will not be watching season 8 of Hudson & Rex.

Hudson & Rex is a series about a crime fighting police dog named Rex and his emotional support human, Charlie Hudson, in the Canadian city of St. John’s, Newfoundland. 

Andrea and I came to Hudson & Rex for the dog but we wound up staying for Charlie, played by John Reardon. 

John Reardon has the most beautiful, piercing eyes.  And my wife Andrea agrees with me.  

Anyway, as of season 7, John Reardon had to step away from the show to address a diagnosis of cancer.  While John took time out to go through treatment, Charlie was written out as going to Mexico to save his brother from some trouble he gotten into.

Back in St. John’s, the supporting cast of Sarah, Jesse and Joe took up the slack of being Rex’s emotional support human and taking care of the paperwork after Rex solved the week’s major crime.

Those episodes were weird seeing people like Sarah saying lines you know were originally written for Charlie.  But Andrea and I were OK as long as we knew this was just temporary and Hudson and Rex would be together again.

But…

John Reardon’s treatment for cancer went well and he was ready to return to work.

The producers of Hudson & Rex decided to go in a different direction.

At the end of season 7, the gang in St. John’s Major Crimes Unit hear that Charlie Hudson was shot in Mexico and he fell in a river, his body washed away. Charlie is missing, presumed dead.

So the show brings in actor Luke Roberts as Mark Hudson to be Rex’s new emotional support human for season 8.

To quote Rocky from Project Hail Mary“Rocky hate Mark.” 


There are stories and videos online that identify Mark as Charlie’s brother. No, he is not.  He just happens to have the last name of Hudson. 

While Charlie just sort of fell into the role of being Rex’s emotional support human, Mark is actually a trained K9 police officer so he’ll have a different dynamic in his relationship with Rex yadda yadda yadda I really don’t care.

Andrea and I are giving season 8 of Hudson & Rex a miss.

After season 8 aired in Canada to negative fan backlash and declining ratings, the producers of Hudson & Rex got smart and fished Charlie Hudson out of that Mexican river. 

John Reardon and his most beautiful, piercing eyes will return for season 9 this fall in Canada.  Those episodes will not hit American television until next year. 

Late Nite With Seth Meyers

Seth Meyers and his A Closer Look segments are a much appreciated source of political humor. 

So why are we NOT watching? 

‘Cause it ain’t there too be watched!

Late Nite With Seth Meyers is on a hiatus.  

It is not uncommon for the show to go into reruns for awhile as Seth and his family take a vacation in and around Labor Day.  But this break is longer than it has been in the past.

This hiatus for Late Nite With Seth Meyers began August 1st and the show will not return for new episodes until September 21st. 

OMG! What if Donald Trump or his cronies do something stupid and/or illegal?!?!  

Like  sign an executive order to fuck with a safe and proven regimen of vaccines that will only make life worse for everbody?

Click here for more about that.

Who’s gonna expose and mock shit like that?!?!? 

51 days gone?!?! What are you doing to us, Seth Meyers?

Next week I’m back with a Tuesday TV Touchbase on shows I am actually currently watching.  

  • The Librarians: The Next Chapter
  • Batman: Caped Crusader
  • Celebrity Wheel of Fortune

New episodes of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds will be covered in my Star Trekking posts.

As for the blog, we’re still in low content mode until Saturday when I’ll be back with a new Movie Time post. 


See y'all on Saturday!

Remember to be good to one another.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Hudson & Rex and Late Nite With Seth Meyers

And we’re back!  Well, kinda/sorta. I’m still on a blog break but I thought I would poke my head in a minute to look around.   Normally the ...