Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Sleep Habits

Yesterday was my first day at work in almost 2 weeks. It’s always a bit of an adjustment getting back to work because left to its own devices, my body gets used to taking a nap… whenever. As it has over the last several days.


Rest is important in recovering from an illness or a surgical procedure but I really like to sleep.   

  • It’s 9:30. What should I do? How about a nap? Great idea!
  • Around 11, before I have lunch, maybe a nap? By all means: nap!
  • 1:15 PM and I’m tired out from lunch. Time for a nap? Yep! 
  • 3:00 in the afternoon. You know what time it is? Mid-afternoon nap!
  • It’s 5:00. Wife due home around 6. Should I take a nap? Oh, I should, I should.
  • Around 8:00, it’s time for my early evening nap.


Around 11:00 PM, a whole day of napping has left me exhausted. Time for bed. 


My wife enables me in my napping. “David, you’ve been through surgery. You need to rest and recover.” OK, I’ll go with that but I have to be real: on any given day, I could keep that nap schedule.


“Gee, David. Maybe you have a problem?” you might ask.  “No, I don’t and fuck off,” I respond so eruditely as I roll over to go back to sleep. 


But the fine folks at Cone Hospital tend to agree with you. While going through pre-admission for my recent surgery, some red flags went up that suggested to the hospital that I have sleep apnea.  One of those ref flags was the size of my neck.


Sleep apnea is when you stop breathing in your sleep which kind of puts the kibosh on a full night’s restful sleep.


So I’m on schedule for a sleep study. Normally this involves: 

  • Travelling to a place that’s not your home…
  • Going into a room that’s not your room and….
  • Sleeping in a bed that’s not your bed.


All the while attached to wires that limit your movements including the ability to get up and go pee when you want to. (And readers of this post know how strongly I feel about that.)  


In my case, though, I can get an in-home sleep study package which I will get to use on September 19th. So another medical thing to go through this year. 


More on that later. For now, I am quite fatigued after a day with no naps. I’m so glad my suffering amuses you.


Until next time, remember to be good to one another.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

New Doctor Who Is On the Way

 The news broke last week at that the new season of Doctor Who will be debut on Saturday May 11th on the BBC. Doctor Who on Saturday as it...