Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Comic Book Origins: Where Did the Bat Come From?

 Anyone who is familiar with the holy writ of comic book mythology knows the tale of Bruce Wayne, orphaned by his parents being murdered in front of him, he grows up to train his mind and body to be the best at everything and to use those skills to fight crime. 

But exactly how to fight crime is the big question. 

And the answer presents itself:


"I shall become a bat!" 

But...

Where did the bat come from? 

Kerry Callen  provides an answer.  


So it's Superman's fault, eh? 

Actually, the question of where did the bat come from has provided some fodder for Bruce Wayne's back story in the comics and movies.  For instance, there is the story of Bruce as a child falling into a hole on the grounds of Wayne Manor into a cave full of bats.  Dad Thomas rescued his young son who was understandably scared of a big dark hole filled with bats. 

So even before that fateful night, there were bats flitting around Wayne Manor. Bruce Wayne may have taken it as an omen that a bat flew through the window but poor Alfred has been cleaning up bats for years. 

Bruce: "Alfred, a bat flew through my window!" 

Alfred: "Yes sir! It is quite the problem here at the manor!" 

Bruce: "I will take it as an omen!"

Alfred: "It's a bloody rare night that a bat doesn't fly through a god damn window around here..."

Bruce: "I SHALL BECOME A BAT!!" 

Alfred: "Permit me sir to go fetch my bat clean up supplies and... Wait! Who shall become a what now, sir?" 

Next week: I'll examine the origin of the Flash and answer the question: "Where did the lightning bolt come from?"  

No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Sushi

Last week, I had my first sushi. While Andrea and I were out of town for our son's graduation from college, we took him and two of his f...