Thursday, July 27, 2023

Sinead O’Connor

Well, I didn't see this one coming.

Yesterday, Irish singer Sinead O’Connor died at the age of 56. 

O’Connor became a sensation in 1990 with her cover of Prince’s ballad “Nothing Compares 2 U,” a powerful performance that topped charts around the world.  

Back in the day when people bought CD's, I purchased her 1991 Grammy winning album “I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got”.

She was a lifelong non-conformist. She shaved her head to piss off record executives who wanted her to appear more conventionally glamorous.

During a 1992 performance on “Saturday Night Live,” O’Connor ripped up a photo of the Pope on live television in protest to sexual abuse in the Catholic church.

I was watching that episode and was kind of confused and wondered, "What was that all about? What did the Pope do?" 

Well, nothing which was, I guess, O'Connor's point.  

She converted to Islam in 2018 and told fans she had changed her name to Shuhada’ Davitt.

O’Connor was diagnosed with bipolar disorder at 23 and later told the BBC that she dealt with depression and suicidal thoughts.

She also endured personal loss with the death of her teenage son Lunny who took his own life a year ago. 

One of her last posts on social media was a reflection on life without her son.   

“Been living as undead night creature since. He was the love of my life, the lamp of my soul. We were one soul in two halves. He was the only person who ever loved me unconditionally. I am lost in the bardo without him.”

Sinead O'Connor was back in the music studio recently to record her version of the Outlander theme currently being used for the show's 7th season.


A Shínead, tá súil agam go bhfuair tú síocháin faoi dheireadh.

Sinead, I hope you have at last found peace.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Throwback Thursday: Here's a Tip: Buy Low, Sell High

In yesterday's post, I wrote about how my parents would eat at Hardee's unless we wanted to be fancy and then we would eat at Wendy&...