Sunday, December 22, 2019

Countdown to Christmas 3

Dashing through the snow in a once horse open sleigh, it's I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, a sliver of straw blog in a manger internet.

And once more, we roll merrily along with another day of 

COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!





We're THREE days away from Christmas, y'all!!!

Today's Countdown to Christmas movie is Miracle On 34th Street.

So here's the deal. It's Thanksgiving Day and the Macy's Parade as a problem with Santa.

Santa is drunk!

Thankfully, a kind gentleman of white hair and beard and a rotund physique is willing to fill in!

And he turns out to be Macy's BEST SANTA CLAUS EVER!!!!

Because he actually is Santa Claus! 

Whoa!!

Anyway there's a cynical single mom who's lost her Christmas spirit and a charming precocious daughter who wishes she could get it back.

This sounds like a job for Santa Claus.

But is he really Santa Claus? Our Santa is put on trial with his freedom in doubt and his sanity in question. 

Thankfully the US Post Office thinks he's real and that's good enough for everybody! 

It's a delightful movie whether you catch the black and white version from the 1940s or the color remake from the 1990s which stars the girl from Matilda as the charming precocious daughter. 

I kind of prefer the original in that it's a slice of life from long ago time.  

One year, I was in downtown Greensboro with my family for the holiday parade. We arrived where the end of the parade was about to head out. This section of the parade included the float with Santa's sleigh. But no Santa.

I looked around and wondered where Santa was. I turned to look behind and suddenly Santa Claus was standing there. It had not been there a mere handful of seconds. But there he was appearing as if  by.... magic?

No, of course not. 

Santa looked at me as he passed, putting a finger to the side of his nose.

I swear his eyes twinkled.

With a hearty HO! HO! HO!, Santa purposefully strode to his sleigh and boarded it.


My own miracle on 34th Street?


Maybe? 


Today's Christmas song is from Jonathan Coulton and it brings greetings from a mining colony in outer space.




I really enjoy this song although I don't like that it suggests Santa Claus is unable to save us from our robot overlords.

Did I say "overlords"?

I meant protectors. 

Today's Countdown to Christmas DOCTOR WHO CHRISTMAS SPECIAL TIME looks at the very first Christmas special, The Christmas Invasion.

The revived Doctor Who had only one season under its belt before everything changed. Christopher Eccleston was out and David Tennant was in. Putting this new star of this newly revived show in the spotlight of the BBC's Christmas Day schedule was something of a big deal. 

With the newly regenerated Doctor still out of it, David Tennant spends most of the episode lollygagging in his pajamas in bed. So a lot of the heavy lifting goes to Billie Piper as Rose Tyler who carries on as the Doctor would want her to in the face of an alien invasion. But things have gotten pretty grim and the Doctor is needed. 

And at the lowest point for Earth and all of humanity, the doors of the TARDIS open wide and there stands the Doctor, grinning. "Miss me?"  

The iconography of Christmas is played with killer Santa robots and a killer Christmas tree. Jackie Tyler's "I'm going to be killed by a Christmas tree!" really captures the gonzo nature of this special.  

Today's Comic Book Christmas Story is set in World War I featuring Enemy Ace. 






Way back in the mists of time when I was a young Dave-El, I got a full head of steam that I was going to rock DC's world as their next best most awesomest writer. Among the flurry of submissions I hurled DC's way was an Enemy Ace story. 

I had at that time read all of exactly one Enemy Ace story. All I knew about WWI aviators was what I gleaned from that single story. And also the adventures of Snoopy in Peanuts as the World War One Flying Ace and his ongoing battles against the Red Baron.   

I didn't get a rejection letter as much as I got a cease and desist letter. In response to my plethora of story submissions, the response from DC was simply, "Cut that out!"  

Ok, that's a wrap on Countdown to Christmas 3. 

Tomorrow we will be but 2 days out from Christmas with another post with a look at a Christmas movie, another weird Christmas song, a Doctor Who Christmas special and another comic book story for the holidays! 

May your halls be decked and your apparel gay! And also remember to be good to one another! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

News of the World: Storms and War and Other Things

Over the weekend, really bad weather hit the mid west United States with tornadoes.  A LOT of tornadoes. And VERY BIG tornadoes.  One really...