Thursday, August 26, 2021

The High Cost of Living

Something that can really throw a bucket of ice cold water on moving from kidhood to adulthood is that things cost money.

Now as a kid, you know things cost money. Why else would you bug your parents to buy stuff? You want stuff, stuff costs money, you don't have money, your parents have money, beg them buy stuff.

But what is truly shocking to young sensibilities venturing forth into adult responsibilities is how much money it takes to get stuff.

You want item X.  You have let's say $25. 

"I'm gonna buy item X." 

Then you find out item X costs $50.

"I guess I ain't gonna buy item X." 

Rule of life when it comes to money: whatever you think it's gonna cost, it's gonna cost more.

Corollary to that role: if it does cost less than you think, it will still cost more.

You want item X.  You have let's say $25. 

"I'm gonna buy item X." 

Then you find out item X costs $15.

"Great! I have 10 bucks to spare! I'm gonna buy item X." 

Except item X for $15 is the stripped down version of what you want to buy.  Item X ain't gonna do shit unless you pony up for some features and apps and what all. Oh and the damn thing takes batteries. And no, you're not done because you forgot taxes, didn't you? People always forget the taxes. 

Now your $15 item X costs $50.

"I guess I ain't gonna buy item X." 

Now I said this was a hard lesson for youth moving to adulthood.

But no, it's a hard lesson that just keeps on getting taught to old folks like me.

I took the car in for servicing, standard oil change and the like.

I was told the car needs tires.

I cringed but this assessment was not completely unexpected. I figure it had been awhile and the tires were likely due to be replaced.

I did a quick estimate in my head and figured it might cost me $500. 

But I remembered the rule of life when it comes to money: whatever you think it's gonna cost, it's gonna cost more.

So I calculated a higher number, maybe around $750, that if the cost of replacing the tires was around that mark, well, it would hurt but I was expecting it and roll with the blow.

The estimate for replacing my tires came to $1,200! 

What the hell? 

Really?!?! When did tires get so damn expensive? 

While price shock for young people comes from a lack of experience with the world, price shock for old people comes from an over reliance on our experience.  

Our years of experience has impart the knowledge of how much things cost. It simply isn't fair to that hard won knowledge that things change, prices go up.

But there is this part of a old brain that just will not let go of how much things use to cost.

When I had to buy my own damn groceries at the start of my adult life, a can of corn was 50 cents.

As I near the end of my life, it irks me beyond all irkdom that a can of corn is $1.38 at my local grocery store.  

A can of corn used to be 50 cents, goshdarndagnabit!

I did some shopping online and I think I can get those tires for closer to $800 than $1,200.  

But I know what'll happen.

But I bet there are things I'm not taking into account.

And those $800 tires will still cost me $1,200!

Damn it! It's not right! 

And a can of corn used to be 50 cents, goshdarndagnabit!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Ready To Launch

  Andrea and I ventured forth from the Fortress of Ineptitude last week to attend the graduation of our son Dean. Dean had selected for thei...