Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Norm MacDonald

Well, I certainly did not see that coming.  The alerts on my phone that  Norm MacDonald at age 61 was dead from cancer.

And we didn't even know he was sick. 

Norm didn't want people acting differently around him and kept his condition a private matter. 

I don't think I could do that. If I had cancer, I would want everyone to know so I could milk it for all it's worth for everything.

"David, could you hand me the TV remote?"

"Nope. Have cancer."

Yeah, I am a whiny bastard and I would work it hard. 

Norm was not a whiny bastard. 

He was a very funny man.

Check out this appearance with Conan O'Brien and...

seriously, stick around to the end.


And this clip is from early in Norm's career about how Norm as a small child gets hooked on cigars and heroin.


A lot of write ups on Norm McDonald talk about his time on Saturday Night Live and his turn as anchor on Weekend Update. And his infamous exit from the show. 

NBC executive Don Ohlmeyer fired McDonald because Don was friends with O.J. Simpson and Norm never let up that O.J. killed two people. 

But Norm was right and O.J. did kill two people.  

What I have found distressing is how many of the Norm obits have left out his role as the voice of Yaphit on The Orville.  

Yaphit is an engineering whiz who is also a gelatinous blob. 

The clip below features a montage of Yaphit scenes from season 1. 


In a world where there are too many assholes still alive walking the planet,it is a damned shame someone like Norm McDonald is no longer with us. 

Norm's distinctive voice could be heard in a lot of animated projects.  Here is a clip from the Netflix Christmas film, Klaus.


God bless and rest in peace, Norm! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: Ncuti Gatwa Explains Doctor Who

Well, we're getting closer now.  Next Friday on Disney+, we're going to get not one but TWO all new episodes of Doctor Who . Your Fr...