Thursday, October 5, 2023

Nothing To SPHERE But SPHERE Itself

This past weekend, Andrea wasn't feeling well, fighting a sinus infection. Aside from feeling miserable from that, she had to put up with me thrusting my phone in her face with one Tik Tok video after another.

"Isn't that cool?"

"Isn't that cool?"

"Isn't that cool?"

What I thought was cool was a series of videos posted by fans who attended U2's concert inside The Sphere at the Venetian Resort (THE SPHERE!) in Las Vegas.  The band kicked off a 25 day residency on September 29th  and I couldn't stop gushing over what I was seeing.

"Isn't that cool?"

"Isn't that cool?"

"Isn't that cool?"

Yes, it's cool. Now shut up.  

I wasn't just psyched because this was about my favorite rock 'n' roll band but the venue itself! 

Whoa!  

"Isn't that cool?"

THE SPHERE (which is how insist on referring to this venue) is an  18,600-seat auditorium with immersive video and audio capabilities including 16K resolution wraparound interior LED screen, speakers with beam forming and wave field synthesis technologies (I don't know what that means but "Isn't that cool?") and 4D physical effects.

4-D? Damn!

"Isn't that cool?" 

The venue's exterior also features 580,000 sq ft of LED displays. The Sphere measures 366 feet high and 516 feet wide at its broadest point.

I am impressed this thing exists and it works. 

And THE SPHERE kind of reaffirms a sense of confidence about the future.

Humans built this! 

"Isn't that cool?"

Living in the 21st century doesn't always feel like living in the 21st century. In a political and social arena that seems to be driven more by poorly interpreted religious texts than it is by science, I feel like we're heading for the dark ages. 

Did I nap through the apocalypse and THIS is the post apocalyptic world? 

Looking at THE SPHERE, it looks like what I thought the future of the 21st century would be like when I was a kid. 

OK, THE SPHERE is a big flashy toy paid for by people with too much money for the entertainment of those with more disposable income that I have. 

But I see something more. 

THE SPHERE is a shining beacon that tells us a better brighter tomorrow is possible.

And...

"Isn't that cool?"











Interior of THE SPHERE during the U2 show.

Interior of THE SPHERE during the U2 show.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Throwback Thursday: Here's a Tip: Buy Low, Sell High

In yesterday's post, I wrote about how my parents would eat at Hardee's unless we wanted to be fancy and then we would eat at Wendy&...