Tuesday, August 6, 2024

What the Hell NOW? A Shadow Over Neil Gaiman

I was a bit surprised when I checked in Mike Sterling's blog Progressive Ruin to find that to find there is a pall (to put it mildly) over Neil Gaiman.

The celebrated and beloved writer who brought us Sandman, Black Orchid, The Books of Magic, Dead Boy Detectives, Miracleman and Good Omens and so much more....

Guest star on The Simpsons and Big Bang Theory...

This friendly and gregarious guy my wife follows on Twitter...

Neil Gaiman has been accused of sexual assault by at least 5 women.  


It should be noted there are no formal criminal charges being pursued at the moment.  Just accusations.

I know I do not want these these accusations to be true. I genuinely admire his talent as a writer and I sincerely feel that he is a decent sort of guy, self deprecating and willing to have fun with his image.  

His works have been known to present strong women with full and engaging personalities. His works seems to suggest he gets women, he understands them.

But does that preclude him from taking sexual advantage of women? 

Fame and admiration are drugs that can distort one's sense of self.  A famous person may think they are being a great romancer, a master of seduction. Or is it just the fame coercing someone into something that would not otherwise do. 

I'm not sure how to feel right now.

If these women were harmed in anyway by Neil Gaiman's conduct, they deserved to be heard.  

I really want.... fervently want Neil Gaiman not to be that person.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: Doctor Who "I'll Explain Later"

It's been a minute since I've posted some Doctor Who content. Your Friday Video Link is a compilation of the Doctor's favorite ...