Friday, April 7, 2017

Don Rickles


When I was a kid back in the 1970s, Don Rickles was a frequent presence on TV, ranging from Bob Hope specials, Dean Martin celebrity roasts and appearances on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Rickles was a dangerous man to have on TV with his machine gun delivery of barbs and insults. While Don may have been dangetous, he wasn’t a threat. For all the zingers he slung, he never seemed to operate from a place of hate or disrespect.  By all accounts, beneath the tough, blustery exterior, Don Rickles was a warm and caring individual.


Which may explain why comic book legend Jack Kirby included Don Rickles in issues of his run on DC’s Jimmy Olsen comic. Outwardly, Jack had a tough guy demeanor but at heart, he was a sweetheart per everyone who knew the man. And the same could be said for Don Rickles. 




I zinged Don on Twitter once. A few years back, Don posted a photo on Twitter, a picture of him on a TV special from the 1960s. Behind him were some beautiful showgirls, you know, the ones that are 85% legs. Anyway, I posted a comment: “Don, you are a national treasure but I gotta say: you’re blocking my view of the girls, you hockey puck!”


I would like to say that Don liked that Tweet or re-Tweeted it. Alas, no he disdn’t. But he didn’t unfollow me or have me blocked so I like to think he liked it. 


At 90 years old, Don was still working, his mind as sharp and fast with a clever quip as ever. It’s nice to know that one can live a long life and go out while still good at what brings you joy. Rest in peace, Don Rickles, you hockey puck! You will be missed. 

All Things Must Pass

Hi there. Today is post # 1,600 to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You. I'm not sure I should count all of them since some were ...