Saturday, December 30, 2017

So That’s A Wrap For 2017


So that’s a wrap for 2017. And about damn time.

 

At the end of 2016, we felt battered and tired by the year. A bitter and contentious Presidential election that seemed like it would never end and when it did, it delivered the worst result that we all thought was impossible. Throughout the year, we were peppered with announcements of too many good, talented people dying. We were ready for 2016 to end.

 

But we were not ready for 2017 to begin. OK, on the plus side, as I write this, the Earth is not a boiling radioactive cauldron so that’s a plus in Trump’s column. Otherwise, Trump in the White House has been the dumpster fire of a shit storm I predicted. Trump has brought dishonor upon the office of President and upon this country with his loutish, ignorant behavior. And to add insult to injury, there are still people out there in the United States who can’t see how fucking obviously bad he is.

 

And to add even more insult to even more injury, there are people out there in the United States who don’t care how obviously bad he is, as long as they get something out of it. “Yay! I’ve got my tax cut! I can upgrade the bathroom fixtures on my yacht with platinum instead of mere gold.”  

 

Trapped between the worst impulses of fear and greed, I despair for this nation.

 

But on a personal level, 2017 had it challenges. As 2016, I feared that my mother was not long for this world. As 2017 began, I was shocked at the rapidity of her decline. Midway through January, she was gone. I still have trouble processing this, after nearly a year. 

 

And I had no way in hell to know what would happen to me. A stroke, a fall, a shattered elbow. After 2 surgeries and several months of physical therapy, my left arm is still a bit stiff and limited but considering how bad it was damaged, my current mobility is remarkable. I actually had my last physical therapy session last week. I was blessed that I found myself in the care of Andy and Meagan who helped me in my recovery with skill, empathy and good humor. Who knows, I may need to make use of their services again someday. The way my knees hurt all the time and my lower back bothers me, I wouldn’t be surprised to see either of these be at the forefront of 2018’s medical crises. 

 

All this stuff, the big picture political and the more personal issues, have played hell with my mental state this year. I’m tired of being tired all the time.

 

For 2018, I hope to hurt less in body and soul. I hope to be less tired in body and soul.

 

I hope to have more hope. 

 

OK, that’s enough complaining and venting for today.

 

Remember to be good to one another.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: It's a Beavis & Butthead Renaissance

  This image below has been making the rounds on social media following this past weekend's Saturday Night Live. It's Mikey Day and ...