Thursday, May 12, 2022

Doctor Who: We Have A New Doctor!

So the news went out unto all the lands and across all the seas and to sayeth the sooth, to proclaim the good tidings of great joy of the latest actor to strideth across the TARDIS set and declareth unto all, "I am the Doctor!" 

When Russell T. Davies re-takes the reins of Doctor Who, he will have as his 14th Doctor Ncuti Gatwa!  


Yes, it's a black guy. So with the departure of Jodie Whitaker and the advent of Ncuti Gatwa in the role as the Doctor, we can replace the misogynist trolls with racist trolls.

I like to think that true Doctor Who fans, the ones who really get what the show is about, who really understand what the Doctor is all about are not trolls, misogynist or racist. 

Ncuti Gatwa's most prominent role to date is in Sex Education,  a British comedy-drama series that appears on Netflix.  

At 29 years old, Ncuti Gatwa's resume is a bit slim but he has apparently made quite an impression during his short career, particularly in RTD his own damn self.

“The future is here, and it’s Ncuti! Sometimes talent walks through the door and it’s so bright and bold and brilliant, I just stand back in awe and thank my lucky stars. Ncuti dazzled us, seized hold of the Doctor and owned those TARDIS keys in seconds. It’s an honor to work with him, and a hoot, I can’t wait to get started. I’m sure you’re dying to know more, but we’re rationing ourselves for now, with the wonderful Jodie’s epic finale yet to come. But I promise you, 2023 will be spectacular!”

Here's what Ncuti Gatwa had to say about being the next Doctor: "This role and show means so much to so many around the world, including myself, and each one of my incredibly talented predecessors has handled that unique responsibility and privilege with the utmost care."  

I don't know Ncuti Gatwa well enough to have a fully formed impression of what kind of Doctor he will be but I am taken with his bright, infectious smile, a sense of pure joy he exudes which I think is an important characteristic to have to play the Doctor.  

The casting of Ncuti Gatwa as the next Doctor is Russell T. Davies' first and biggest executive decision as the showrunner of Doctor Who. My instinct is that it bodes well for the future of the Doctor.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Throwback Thursday: Here's a Tip: Buy Low, Sell High

In yesterday's post, I wrote about how my parents would eat at Hardee's unless we wanted to be fancy and then we would eat at Wendy&...