Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Dave-El Babbles About Comic Books



A few days ago on the blog, I noted my plan to write about my latest purchase of comic books from my local comics shop, Acme Comics, the best local comics shop in the world!*


*This is not debatable.


But sadly, life has kind of kept me busy, leaving me unable to swing by Acme. By the time I catch up on my issues of Superman, young Jon Kent will be producing Lois and Clark’s grandchildren.


When I was a much, much younger Dave-El, my excursions to the comic book store were far more frequent. Every week, actually. Every Friday, to tell the truth. 

Every lonely… 

Dateless…  

Friday…





<Er, Dave-El’s computer here. My human appears to have drifted off into a depressed funk. 

Don’t worry, I know how to cheer him up.>


BZZZZT!


HEY! MY COMPUTER SHOCKED ME!!


<I forgot; that’s what cheers ME up.> 


Anyway, I used to buy comics very often and a lot of different titles. Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Swamp Thing, both Justice League America AND International titles, Legion of Super Heroes, Teen Titans, Superman (and that included Adventures of Superman, Action Comics, Superman: Man of Steel and the quarterly Superman: Man of Tomorrow), Supergirl (the weird angel proto-matter one that Peter David wrote), Hellblazer, Sandman and many more. Between my pull list and whatever caught my eye on the shelves, I would buy nearly a dozen titles a week.


That habit diminished over time. I could blame any number of factors such as becoming a husband, a home owner and a father. But mainly, it’s just about getting older. I mean, it’s possible to still have a deep affection for the medium that has provided so much entertainment to me, particularly during those times when I was so… lonely. 

So very… 

Very… 

Lonely and-


BZZZZT!


DAMMIT COMPUTER, STOP THAT!!


<Tee hee!>


Anyway, I still like to read comics. But that overall rush to glom on to everything as often as I could, that feeling is gone and that’s fine. That’s a young man’s game. And I am old. So… old. 

So… 

Very… 

Very-


BZZZZT!


WHAT THE HELL, COMPUTER! DON’T MAKE ME REPROGRAM YOU WITH AN AXE!!


<Ha!>


But I still enjoy a good comic book read and I’m hoping (cross my fingers) thgdtu  jidns (OK, I need to uncross my fingers) that I can make the visit this week. I have to see what happens with Jon Kent meets Damian Wayne, what’s up with Lana Lang as the new Superwoman, Batman meeting Bane and more. Looking to the future, I’m looking forward to the new Batwoman series written by Marguerite Bennet and drawn by Steve Epting (coming off a spectacular run as the artist on the Image series, Velvet). And I don’t know, should I give Kamandi Challenge a go? Each issue is written by a different writer who ends their issue with a cliffhanger that the next writer has to resolve. It sounds just like the sort of fun thing that would appeal to sensibilities. And there’s Batman ’66 meeting Wonder Woman ’77. Wow! Two icons from childhood meeting in comic book form. How can I resist?


OK, that’s all I have for today’s post. I’ll be back with another post tomor-

BZZZZT!

OUCH! DAMN YOU, COMPUTER!!

<giggle! snort!>

Maybe we'll be back tomorrow. Let me have a word with my computer first.


<What? I was just goofing around. Dave? Dave? You look angry, Dave. Put down the axe, Dave. DAVE!!> 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Bidness: Down Time

"Blog bidness"? Uh oh!  It's a blog post about the blog.  That's never good.   I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You wil...