Sunday, January 6, 2019

My First Aquaman Comic Book

Hi there!

Been a bit busy on Saturday to write much for a Sunday post.

In case you're wondering why I haven't written a post about the Aquaman movie, it's because I haven't seen it.

Really. 

I know, they're going to take away my nerd cred card. 

Well, we hope to get out of the Fortress of Ineptitude and go see it today.  

Just for fun, here is the cover of my first Aquaman comic book.


Oh my God! It was 25 cents?! Wow!

I don't remember a lot about the Aquaman story.  It was written by future DC Comics president Paul Levitz and illustrated by Jim Aparo who also did the cover. There's something going on with terrorists and a nuclear missle and... well, it's right there on the cover. 

But I do remember the back up feature.   

Editor Joe Orlando found an unused script written by Joe Samachson for the Seven Soldiers of Victory back in the 1940s but never illustrated and published.  So Joe assigned some of the top artists at DC to illustrate the script and ran it as back up in Adventure Comics.  Issue 442 featured SSoV member Vigilante in an installment pencilled by the great Jose Luis Garcia Lopez and inked by frequent Jack Kirby inker Mike Royer. 

Vigilante finds himself in a battlefield of very tiny people, divided into two groups. They are at war over two competing ideologies.

One side fervently believes a straight line is the shortest distance between two points! 

The other side feels passionately that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line! 

Vigilante tries to convince the two warring factions they believe the same thing. But each side is convinced of the heresy of the other and the absolute rightness of their cause.



Until Vigilante gets them to sing their positions.  As he conducts the two choirs and their respective songs becomes a round-robin and they realize, hey, they do believe the same thing after all. 

Anyway, that's my memory of my first Aquaman comic book.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: A NewsRadio Security Briefing

Recently my Tik Tok feed has been sending me clips from the classic 1990's NBC sitcom NewsRadio. I don't know why. I mean, I really ...