Tuesday, February 19, 2019

And Lo There Shall Come a Finale: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

A few weeks ago when I posted And LoThere Shall Come a Finale: The Good Place  on that show's third season finale and And Lo There Shall Come a Finale: Outlander for that series' fourth season finale, I mentioned there would be a post of And Lo There Shall Come a Finale for the series finale of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. The last episodes of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt dropped on Netflix on January 25th but it's taken me until now to get around to them.  



Part of the problem has been finding time to watch those episodes of Kimmy's 4th and final season. Also, to be blunt, a lack of enthusiasm to get around to it. 

I began watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt last summer, burning through Season 1. The show was laugh out loud funny and charming and witty.  

Unfortunately, I found myself less enchanted with the series as I trudged through Seasons 2 and 3. I did find Kimmy's struggles to come to terms with the trauma of being locked in the bunker 15 years a positive development in the series but I usually found my eyes glazing over whenever extended time was taken away from Kimmy for time spent focusing on Lillian and Jacqueline. These were two characters who worked fine in contrast to Kimmy but when left to their own plotlines, I was less enamored with Lillian and Jacqueline and as the seasons wore on into season 4, I would fast-feed through sections that focused on Lillian and Jacqueline without Kimmy. 

I would almost say the say thing about Titus but despite some cartoonish over the top behavior, I still felt some empathy for Titus, caught in the self destructive crosshairs of his ego and his insecurity. Even so, I felt there was too many times the series focused on Titus at the expense of Kimmy. 

I would say there was one element of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt that I never lost any enthusiasm for, it was the kick ass theme song. 

"Unbreakable! They alive, dammit!!"  

The series ends as it should, with everyone finding their dreams coming true.

Lillian becomes a part of New York as the voice of the transit system.

Jacqueline finds success and love with a man who his blind which is kind of ironic given Jacqueline's narcissistic 
obssession with her appearance.   

After seasons of on-again/off-again, Titus and Mikey are a couple and Titus finds success with his name in lights. 

And Kimmy experiences good fortune spinning out of her children's book.  

There's been talk that there might be an Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt movie in the future but I don't think so. Kimmy's story has been told. Not always told well but it was told and it ended as one would expect for a naive waif from Indiana with an unbreakable spirit.  




In an upcoming post of And Lo There Shall Come a Finale, we'll look at a series that came to an end way too early back in 2003.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Doctor Who Is CLASSIC: Kinda

Today is another installment of my semi regular series of posts, Doctor Who Is CLASSIC !   This is where I post about episodes from the clas...